Day 6 - V is Very Very Extraordinary


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
July 6th 2012
Published: July 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bay after bay, cliff after cliff. From the bottom to the top. How many million dollar views can you see in a day?

After leaving Motel 6, our trek took us through central California. Here we found many tourist cities with beach houses, mansions, and grand ranches. Here, there were all surfers and no swimmers. The weather was cool and sunny just like it should be.

Travelling Hwy 1 took us first through mountains, hills, and cattle ranches. Coming from Texas I never thought hills filled with nothing but grass and cows could look so good. It made me fantasize about being the Marlboro man. But what ranch would be complete without a farm, and when I say farm I mean miles and miles of farmland. Fields of celery, lettuce, broccoli, strawberries, and any other produce you could think of. But sadly, we saw no California Oranges.

From there we found many bays, many harbors, and many more beaches with out of this world views. The best is Morro Bay which has the 'Rock of Gibraltar for the Pacific Coast'. We thought it couldn't get any better until we came to Hearst Castle. A perfect example of American extravagence. A castle literally in the clouds, completely self sufficient with its own livestock, orchards, and watersource.

Then how could you have any fun with out a little danger! The BIG SUR. 75 miles of cliffside driving. This stretch was not only the most dangerous and most stressfull, but also the most beautiful. Here we found every shape that you could form a road into. A V, an S, an L, hairpin turns, steep inclines and declines all 5 feet from a thousand foot drop off to the rocks and ocean. Luckily my wife has an expert driver for a husband so we were able to get through it without any problems and with many pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 185, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th July 2012

Can't wait to see ALL the pics!
Hey there! I just caught up on the AWESOMENESS of your trip. Y'all have that sick lovey-dovey couple look that we all love to see. :) Can't wait to see all of the pics and hear about the trip in first person!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb