Pfeiffer-Big Sur State Park, California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
May 12th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

McWay Waterfall and CoveMcWay Waterfall and CoveMcWay Waterfall and Cove

Julia Pfeiffer State Park in Big Sur
Today was a relaxing day. We got up later and didn’t drive far. We visited Julia Pfeiffer State Park about 10 miles south of where we’re staying. There was a short walk to a waterfall overlook and a great coastal view. It was a beautiful area, very peaceful and we had it almost to ourselves. It reminded us of Hawaii. There was another short trail with a little stream, wildflowers and huge redwood trees. This is the furthest south redwoods grow.
After lunch we did a beach hike at yet another state park about 5 miles up the road. We had to cross the Big Sur River to get on the trail. The park doesn’t put bridges up until mid-June so you have to ford the water yourself. The river was more like a stream. It was clear and the deepest part was about 2 ft.. Frank had his waterproof boots on and I was wearing my Gore-Tex boots so after some discussion, we went for it. I got soaking wet, even with Frank’s gaiters on. It wasn’t that bad though. The water squished out as I walked along. I would have never tried a river crossing in Alaska. It was a nice level hike through a meadow with wildflowers. The beach was pretty, but it was VERY windy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Creamery MeadowCreamery Meadow
Creamery Meadow

The meadow was filled with wildflowers
Horses on Molera BeachHorses on Molera Beach
Horses on Molera Beach

They really do ride horses on the beach at Big Sur
Fragrant Flowers Fragrant Flowers
Fragrant Flowers

Made for a romantic entrance to an Inn on Route 1


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0991s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb