Pacific Coastal Highway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Big Sur
October 6th 2007
Published: October 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I started from San Francisco before 8am on a drive on Route 1 also known as Pacific Coastal Highway or PCH. I was doing this trip towards the end of Sept and was not expecting to see the infamous coastal fog that shrouds San Francisco bay area for most of the summer. It was bright and 85 degrees for the two days I was in San Francisco.

30 min into the drive and I began seeing the ocean to my right. However I also started seeing a envelop of fog rolling into the bay area from the ocean. And soon everything was covered in fog.

So the drive all the way to San Luis Obispo was foggy. Sometimes the sun would come out but only for a short while.
I did the 17 miles scenic drive in Monterey peninsula. It is a toll road ($8). The drive has nice coastal views.

I stayed in San Luis Obispo for the night. The next morning looked fogless though it was mostly cloudy. The plan was to head south to Santa Barbara and then Los Angeles. But I headed north to Big Sur to see the scenic coastal views when there was no fog. This time I had much better views of the coastal cliffs and the ocean.

Sighted Seals on the way. Those guys seem to be sleeping all the time. Though some seemed to be frolicking in the water.
It is nice to see these Seals outside of a zoo in a natural surrounding.

Route 1 in California is a scenic drive with mountains on one side and ocean on the other. The drive from Monterey to San Suis Obispo is the most scenic. It takes about 3 hrs to drive between these two places. There are only 1 or 2 gas stations on the way (and they charge around $4.50 for regular gas per gal) so make sure you have plenty of gas before you leave Monterey or San Luis Obispo area.

More photos at




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The lone CypressThe lone Cypress
The lone Cypress

A tree along the 17 mile scenic drive


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb