On the road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Barstow
November 4th 2010
Published: November 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well today we had a travel day - but we managed to squeeze in a 2hr (that turned out to be a 3 hr) walk in the Zion National Park on the Kolob Plateau. This had the advantage of taking us away from the masses of Europeans that have invaded Zion (this walk is a bit more remote) - and lifting us above the canyon and giving wonderful perspectives of the park.

The walk on the high plains among the Ponderosa Pines and the Oak bush above the snow line was fabulous. As you will see from the pics, your correspondents also had some fun with the cameras.

We drove on through Las Vegas (that was interesting among the heavy traffic even though we stayed on Interstate 15) and tonight we are staying in Barstow. Now there is nothing of interest about this place (we have checked it on Wikepedia), but it is big and sprawling country town - and it just happens to suit our road trip.

The major item of note is that once we got off I15, we happen (again) to be on the infamous Route 66! In fact we are staying in a motel that I am sure was here when Route 66 was in vogue.

$51.99 + taxes it is a real bargain - and it includes wifi (provided you sit in a specific area of the room) and a continental breakfast. To top off the experience, we had difficulty finding a restaurant and ended up settling for KFC! (in the room with a bottle of Ozzie YellowTail of course - as you do!)

To those of you who know me well, you will be amazed that not only did I not eat Chris’ KFC skin (she always removes it), I also left all (well most!) of mine as well.

Despite that, it was succulent and juicy. Some of the nicest we have tasted. Now I just need to double up on the lipid drug again tomorrow!

So here are some pics - we’ll see if we can ‘get our kicks ………’

All the best

Chris and Ian



Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th November 2010

KFC
What is the point of going to KFC if you don't eat the skin???!!! I don't know who I am more ashamed of... mum for not eating her KFC skin, or you for "passing" on two servings of KFC skin! The colonel put a lot of hard work into developing his secret recipe of 12 herbs and spices just to have it completely disregarded in this fashion. This are not the standards that I was brought up to believe in!!!!!!! PS - looks like you are having fun...

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb