TAT Game Over


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Barstow
September 25th 2010
Published: September 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rosco

Approx 15,000 km's

Letter Box'sLetter Box'sLetter Box's

Such a big country , but they all seem to want to live next to each other?
The circle is complete, here I am in Barstow California, where we spent our first night heading out on the TAT seven weeks ago.
Everyone is now back home safe and sound except for Dave and I, Tony is still somewhere??without his bike.

Dave and I had a great ride west from Deadwood, checking out Custer's Last Stand Battlefield on the way.
One of the best rides we had was following the Salmon River to Boise in Idaho, great roads.
Leaving Boise, we took a road least traveled and ran into a pea soup fog for about half an hour.
we then took a 'short cut' along a gravel road down to Denio in Nevada where we met up with some other bikers, I had a close encounter with a Harley rider named Fred....his wife was wondering if he had gone off the rails.... The other two guys, Don and David, from North Carolina were also doing the TAT on 650 KLR's, I will stay at their house when next in North Carolina!.

We ran into the first bit of rain that I had sen since the Ozarks down pour, at Redding on our way to the Red Wood Forests, it was not heavy, just anoying and stuffed up our vistas in the mountains.

We stayed at Rio Dell and rode down the 101 through the Red Wood trees, what a great ride that turned out to be. Check out the photo's.

We arrived at Pete and Suzette's around 4.00pm, thanks to Dave's GPS.
He tried to loose me at the toll booths on the Golden Gate Bridge, but after executing a U turn on a six lane freeway (no mean feat) and then another one before the booths just as a police car goes past, I sure made a hasty escape, and was so relieved to find Dave hiding in the shade beside the freeway for me, we moved off quickly and blended into the San Francisco rush hours... and a great home cooked steak meal, thanks guys.

We had a great day with Pete and Suzette, as they had taken a day off to be with us. We checked out the BMW dealer, new GS Gloves and a T shirt, then Dudley Perkins, Harley shop for a new summer jacket, I am sure I need it.
Pete gave me a map and instructions on
The Red WoodsThe Red WoodsThe Red Woods

Entry to the Park
how to get outa town ( Abandoned again), but they escorted Dave down the coast a bit (even though he has a GPS) to make sure he left town!!

I got to James Town, where we (I) had such a great time in '96 when Bones and I were there with Pete, Suzette, Radar and Su. on our Harley. It was good to get a photo of my GS outside the same Hotel.

I stayed that night in a small mountain village called Mi-Wuk, the ride over the Sonora Pass was such an amazing ride, I just loved every corner of it, and watched a helicopter Logging on my way down to Bishop.

The ride down to Barstow, via Death Valley had it's challenges with the temperature.
At 7.30am it was only 5 deg.c at 8.30 it was 20 deg. at 10.30 it was 31 deg, when I arrived here at 3.00pm it was 38 deg, so I am camping in a Best Western.....

Tomorrow, I make my way to LA to do the final packing on Monday, as Dave and I fly out on Monday night.
It has been a wonderful adventure for me and
Red WoodsRed WoodsRed Woods

The Road through the giants
full of wonderful people, it gives me confidence that there is still hope for this world.
I am looking forward to not having to live out of a carry on bag for a while....and my own bed!!
un abrazo
Rosco

PS. Sorry guys, but for some silly reason, the blog is not showing a couple of photo's, I have tried everything to get them on, so will see what happens when I publish. If they don't come up on this blog, I will try when I get home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Farewell BreakfastFarewell Breakfast
Farewell Breakfast

Leaving San Francisco
Autumn is comingAutumn is coming
Autumn is coming

The color's are painted here
North LakeNorth Lake
North Lake

Out from Bishop
Looking BackLooking Back
Looking Back

Back down into Death Valley
Idaho CityIdaho City
Idaho City

I'm not so bad with my stuff


Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 26; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb