Snowbird Adventure November 2013 Part01


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Bakersfield
November 25th 2013
Published: November 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We were successful in doing it again; we got out of Washington State before freezing nighttime weather set in. And we made our way south on I-5 before snow and ice began to accumulate in the mountain passes of southern Oregon and northern California.

So, we have launched our fifth snowbird trip, dragging our dirt yacht 5th wheel trailer to southern Arizona. This will be Miss Minnie’s second winter trip with us. This time, we are going to spend four months at Palm Creek RV Resort in Casa Grande, AZ; about 45 miles south of the hustle and bustle of Phoenix.

We use a laptop computer and a software program called Delorme Street Atlas with GPS to monitor our travel. Before we begin our trip, I preplan our route, our stops, our stays, etc. While we are underway, our computer displays a split screen that shows two views of our planned route and our actual progress along the route. Somewhere in the computer there is a gal who actually talks to us when there is a turn or planned stop coming up. One split of the screen shows a bird’s eye 35 mile view of the route ahead. The other split screen shows about a 5 mile view from the sky. We can see how many miles until the next turn in the route, and how many miles until our final destination; Casa Grande. Our planned RV stops for the night are planned and displayed in the route.

We spend our first night on the road, as has become our custom, in Salem Oregon. Next night at 7 Feathers Casino RV Resort in Canyonville, Oregon. Then onto Red Bluff CA, where we spent two nights at Durango RV Resort, which was infested with noise from nearby I-5 and railroad tracks. But we found a Mexican restaurant that balanced things out a bit. It is doubtful that we will stay there again.

From Red Bluff, we stayed on I-5 and passed through Sacramento, CA, and onto an old favorite RV park west of Lodi, CA; Flag City RV Resort. Their wifi is terrible, but we go wine tasting in Lodi to balance things out. We stayed two nights, and treated ourselves to a late lunch at Wine & Roses. We ordered our favorite seared Ahi Tuna that has been chilled and presented on a bed of salad greens and such. We also enjoyed a sampler plate of olives and olive oils. A local Chardonnay was sapid.

This update is being prepared in Bakersfield, CA, after what is probably the longest drive of the trip south. After we hit the road on a travel day, we start looking for a rest area after an hour. We like to stop so that I can get out and stretch a bit. And Miss Minnie is ready for a toilet break. If the rest stop has vending machines, we are likely to purchase a “coke of the morn’.”

Around noon, we start looking for a lunch stop. My practice is to take a pre-lunch nap in the 5th wheel. Having our bedroom with us so that I can rest is what makes our snowbird trips possible. And having our bathroom with us is a nice feature, compared to the stalls at a roadside rest stop.

In Bakersfield, we are staying at an old favorite Orange Grove RV Park. Yesterday, after we arrived, we set up and then headed to town to grab dinner at a Popeye’s. Nan likes their shrimp po’boy, and I like their spicy chicken with a side of dirty rice.

I’m humming Willie Nelson’s, “On The Road Again.”

Sad Note: A favorite aunt has passed away. Libby was a joy, and will continue as such in memory. Namaste

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb