Trying To Get To London


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Bakersfield
November 17th 2018
Published: November 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Last year, while working in Florida, we had a family emergency and bought plane tickets to fly home and back. As it turned out, we had to drive home to work the fires in Northern California, so did not use the tickets. We canceled our flight and thought we’d use the tickets at a later date, if possible.

Our time was running out, to use the tickets so we looked for concerts we might like to attend. We found that there were several concerts in London, so we booked our tickets around the concerts. And for the same price, we booked our round trip with one stop.

Our 1st flight was set to depart at 11:50 am giving us 2 hours in San Francisco, where we would board our 3 pm non-stop flight to London. We had 2 passes for the United Club, expiring in 2 days, so I printed the passes and we were feeling quite smug with ourselves.

As we were driving to the airport, about 15 min away, a notification came over my phone that our flight would be delayed until 1:45 which would put us in San Francisco just a few minutes before 3. We drove on to the airport and Dale dropped me off close to the United ticket counter.

No one was at the counter. I ran to the parking lot where Dale was just parking the truck and grabbed my phone. I figured I’d call Customer Service.

On my way back into the terminal I saw 2 United personal walking to the ticket counter. They did not know about the delay until I told them but they proceeded to check us in. They suggested that we get to San Francisco and then see what the options were. We then decided to go on home quick, repack a bag that I’d thrown things into, and pick up a couple of items we’d forgotten.

While at home we ate a little, repacked and then thought we’d get back to the airport. It was only 12:30 but I like to have a little extra time when carrying laptops, tablets, and all of the electronics I take.

We got into the airport and as we entered the terminal we heard our names over the loud speaker. They were paging us to get to the gate. Fortunately, there was only 1 person ahead of us in the security line, and since we have Global Entry we were able to hurry thru.

We ran to the gate and found that the plane was waiting for us. We found our seats and took off for San Francisco. This would give us an extra few minutes to get to our next flight.

Before reaching San Francisco the flight attendant asked where our final destination was and what time the plane would leave. She then took our bags from the overhead bin and placed them in the front seat and she announced that we were to exit first as we had the furthest to go.

We were wearing our trail runner shoes, so figured that we were ready to at least try to make our flight. We walked as quickly as possible from the domestic terminal to the international making it just as our group was starting to get on the plane.

What a relief to be on the plane! We wouldn’t lose our bus tickets to Winchester or a hotel night already paid for and non-refundable.



And so the next journey begins with an adventure!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.407s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb