Day 62 Saturday June 29/13 Arcata, California 19460 kms


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Arcata
July 1st 2013
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Final approach. We have made our last right turn and are heading north. The first fifty miles took us almost two hours. We rode the tires off the bikes today. It's the first street signs I've seen that said slow to ten mph that weren't in a parking lot. At our level we pushed it hard today and it was near impossible to maintain an average speed of 30 mph. Helli for the last couple of days has been able to park her bike without thinking about it or re manoeuvring it several times so it would remain upright on the stand. Oh how she's put up with that for the last eight weeks. It was clear and bright all day which was fantastic for seeing the coastline all the way up. But we knew we would pay the price because the heat was sure to come and it did. Where highway 1 joined highway 101 inland, every mile you could feel the heat increasing like someone turning up the hair dryer every few seconds. We stopped in the redwoods for fuel where everyone was limping around complaining about the 100 degree heat that they are not used to. We didn't stop at the tree drive through, I mean once you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all. There were more burl gift shops than Milton's family reunion along this stretch of highway. We knew we were going to burp out at the coast fairly soon which brought instant relief of lower 80 degree temps. Waterfront hotels were everywhere until you actually needed to find one. Again looking for motels and spending two hours trying to find one which ends up being unsatisfactory is a regular theme for which we need a solution if we are going to do another trip like this. It's impossible to book ahead because you never know how far you will get in a day. What do other bikers do? Suggestions? We ended up in Arcata after an unplanned GPS tour through Humboldt State University, had one last kick at Mexican food before we get home. A regular discussion topic at every meal is how hard our workouts once home are going to feel. Be easy on us Michele and Lovisa! Having said that, oh how I want to go back to Harrah's buffet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st July 2013

Monday 11:30am
This blog is about Saturday's ride, so you are into your second ride after that. Maybe you are in Washington! Maybe you will be home tomorrow or Wednesday... I wish I could meet and greet you with flags and balloons flying! Love you - can't wait to see you... Hugs, Mum

Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb