i had to run some errands


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Arcata
July 15th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Fire truck on route 299Fire truck on route 299Fire truck on route 299

This hwy closed after we went through it...
This weekend I traveled to the coast and saw the pacific ocean, the redwood trees, and the most hippie town I think that exists in the United States.

It was nice to get out of Chester and see some of the major points of California. The pacific was awesome and freezing, but we went swimming anyway. I found 3 giant green anemones and some baby shrimp. Oh and my camera died right before this so I have like 12 pictures from the whole trip, half of which are of state route 299 because it was ridiculously smoky.

The next day we hit up the farmer's market which is like the focal point of hippie-dom for the week. We were sitting around listening to polka music in the plaza where we met this girl from Baltimore who had a plane ticket to go back home, but decided to stay in Arcata because it was just the right thing to do at that point in her life. I was like, damn, that's brave. She doesn't even have a place to live, she just camps out on the beach every night. She's waiting to get a job at a sustainable farm, which is why she was hanging out that the farmer's market. I told her that a place like this doesn't seem to need help in becoming sustainable, it's the rest of the US. She agreed, but I mean, it's easier to live that life style there, plus maybe once she learns enough she can spread her knowledge. But that is the problem with lack of diversity; people don't learn anything new if they surround themselves with more of the same.

Anyway, later that day we got our stuff together to go camping in the redwood national forest. We hiked through tall trees grove and camped about a mile and a half in. By the way, redwoods are awesome. Walking through the forest felt like a dream in Dr. Seuss land. I have some pics, but they're all on my phone. Bummertown.

Sunday we went to this crepe place and it was amazing. Then we walked around Humboldt State University which has more stairs than OU but is just as hilly. Arcata is a neat town. California is a strange place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Arcata, CA from a curb at the grocery storeArcata, CA from a curb at the grocery store
Arcata, CA from a curb at the grocery store

This is like the only picture I got of this place before my camera died and I had to use my camera phone.


17th July 2008

Hi Leah, Great photo of you and the Pacific !!! Hippie-dom? Stay Safe. Love, Aunt K and Uncle M
17th July 2008

Leah, If you ever tell us that you are camping out on the beach with no place to live, I will personally come to CA, hunt you down, and drag you home by the ear. Got it? Love ya.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb