Travels with Snowbirds Saturday July 6 2013 Little Rock AR


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I got stuck behind this for a whileI got stuck behind this for a whileI got stuck behind this for a while

some massive farm machine that tied up the road for a while
The one about The Clinton Library



There are lots of pictures included in today’s writings. Free wifi here with great signal, so I uploaded a bunch that needed to get posted.



Last night was the first night I slept all night with the a/c running, except it didn’t run. I had it set for 78 degrees, which felt chilly. When the inside temperature reached the outside temperature, 78, it didn’t cycle. I did manage to sleep all night, and when I got up at 7:30 (yes, Winston let me sleep in!!) I opened the windows, turned my oscillating fan on and kept it that way until I left for my day’s activities It was kind of overcast with a breeze.



By the time I showered and packed my backpack the campground had emptied out. There are only about 20 of the 54 sites filled right now. I went and talked to Sheila about laundry. She monitors the machines, $3.50/load. You give her the money and go wash. More on that later.



I had to psych myself for this walk across the pedestrian bridge to the Clinton Library. Hot. In the sun. Uphill part of the way. Up stairs to start. I was not a happy camper, but it was something I wanted to do.



Vera Bradley backpack loaded with water and sweat rags, I started off. I got to the campground gate that leads to the bridge, and forgot the combination. Back to Moya and started over. 60 steps up. I could have walked down the road a piece to the start of the actual path, it was a tossup. There was a big shade spot at the top. Rest one. I decided to do it in sections, 200 steps at a time. The slope was gentle, actually, and 200 steps got me more than half way to the flat top. At the top, massive shade spot and a lady in her golf cart watering the plants from an attached tank. Beautiful lantana and scaveola. She was picking off the dead heads and was singing to herself. A happy worker. The top was flat, no need to count steps, and by the time I hit the downstroke I was in my stride and not sweating too bad. There actually was a nice breeze. Inside the doors of the Clinton Library it felt like it was 40 degrees. Before I could sit and rest I had to go thru security, and had a good laugh with the guards who put my camera and phone in the same plastic bowls I use to feed Winston. They told me most people say the same thing…..funny. I read the brochure, and decided I need to ‘rent’ the magic wand that would tell me all about what I was seeing. Note to self, next time I do one of these things, bring headphones; they fit into the wand gizmo and would make it easier than holding it up to the ear. The exhibits were actually pretty good. I was able to have my picture taken sitting at the head of the table in the Office of the Cabinet, as well as peering into the Oval office (which was full of reproductions, not the actuals).



I am neither a fan or detractor of Bill. I think he did some good things, but he had the morals of a horny goat. But, looking back on his Presidency, he did some good things: He got the Brady bill signed, after it had been stalled for 6 years. He signed NAFTA. He got Family Medical Leave Act passed after it had been vetoed twice by the previous administration. The Murrah building in Oklahoma City was terrorized during his term (and I am going to get to see that on Tuesday!!) And, his administration had a very long period of economic growth……..I know, I know, causing the deficit to topple out of control, but you have to admit, the Clinton Administration was good times.



I had some great pictures taken, at the head of the Cabinet table and in the Oval Office. I was asked by a docent what I would do if I became President of a brand new country, and I said I would do whatever it took to provide health care for all. He then asked me to put my statement into the very large, bound leather, autograph book that has toured all the Presidential libraries, and is now on its way to the (?new?) George Washington Library in Mt. Vernon. If you look at the picture of the 3rd floor, you might get the sense it looks like the Library at Trinity College/Dublin, which did provide
My Map before I started the tripMy Map before I started the tripMy Map before I started the trip

Ginny & Kathy gave me this map as an "RV-warming" present. It is on the inside of the door.
inspiration for the design. The Library was funded by private donations raised by The Clinton Foundation. As a matter of fact, they bought the old railroad bridge and turned it into the walkway you see in my pictures. The names of the major benefactors are engraved on the walkway. Very cool.



I was thrilled to see a Chihuly Sculpture, a white Christmas Tree that was amazing. I have long been a Dale Chihuly fan, and have seen his work at Bellagio in Las Vegas and Atlantis in Nassau. I find the intricacy and coloring of his glasswork intriguing. There is a link to his web page on the picture of the tree if you want to check his stuff out.



As I was leaving, I paused to look out the window. Guide Peggy pointed out the shuttle bus outside, and suggested I take the one minute ride to the Museum Store. And, to say hello to her husband who was the driver. I made him move his lunch box so I could sit in the front seat of the open air large covered golf cart and picked his brain while we drove. The Clinton Foundation bought this building space for the Museum Store away from the actual library to start the restoration of the downtown area, and, it worked. There are many cute shops and restaurants, an actual Riverwalk with stages, a farmers market on Tuesdays and Saturdays, (see picture of cherry tomatoes I bought) and an indoor food court. Shuttle Driver told me this area was a war zone until the Clinton’s put their Library here. The market had stalls with fruit and vegetable vendors, glass artists, silver artists, Amish bakers, etc. The inside food court had Pizza, Middle East, burgers, Southern food, fresh made ice pops, and burgers. I opted for pizza, which, while different, was pretty good, and unsweetened passion fruit iced tea. I found an easy chair and coffee table kind of thing to sit at, and soon a 50ish lady (who reminded me of Mary Hill) sat down. We started to talk……remember, I have been conversation starved since Cherokee Landing. She and her husband are moving to Little Rock from California. They have closed on their house. He is still in California finishing up his training to re-invent himself – I never did ask what that all meant. She is on her way to finish up her last PhD class at a school in central PA (I forgot to ask which, dummy) and she will be ABD for her doctorate in English. She has been teaching English for many years, and wants to get a job at a college in Little Rock when she finally gets done. Her son and daughter in law live in Little Rock, and today is their first baby’s due date, as well as being the first grandchild. She stopped in the farmers market before her drive today to PA, trying to postpone the trip just in case the girl went into labor. I love hearing stories like this. We wished each other happy trails and parted, never getting the others first name. I walked back to the museum store, got the shuttle back to the library and walked back over the bridge. It was a better walk on the way home, as the bridge structure was casting big shadows on the walkway – I was able to walk the whole way in the shade. With the nice breeze at the top, it was an easy trip.



Also on the grounds of the museum is The University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service, providing only Masters Degrees in Public Service. What do you do with a Masters in Public Service…run for political office?



Back at Moya, I woke Winston up when I opened the door. He has finally gotten his RV legs going, and he is content in his crate, and even seeks it out when he wants to sleep. Finally. The temperature onlhy got to 89 this afternoon, yesterday was 95. While the a/c has been cranking all day, it does feel cool.



I walked him and he wanted to go right back inside. I do think the pavement is too hot for his feet. I headed for the laundry, and am happy I have clean clothes and sheets. I even got out my laundry rack and air dried (in 20 minutes) my sheets and bras.



Intending to watch the Ladies Wimbledon Final, I was entranced by the airplane crash Breaking News. The pictures are awful.



I am glad I wrote my blog early in the day today, I really need to spend some time and finish the last few rows of the baby girl blanket I am crocheting for ‘cousin’ Audrey in Tampa. I need to get it done and in the mail. It’s coming, soon, Val.



I will leave here first thing tomorrow and plan on doing 275 miles to Shawnee, OK, just east of Oklahoma City, where there is a casino with an attached campground. Tee Hee.



Kat Out



Clinton Quotes:



America just works better when more people have a chance to live their dreams



The best social program is a good job.



I do not believe we can repair the basic fabric of society until people who are willing to work have work. Work organizes life. It gives structure and discipline to life.



You don’t have to wait till your party’s in power to have an impact on life at home and around the world.



Frankly, I'm fed up with politicians in Washington lecturing the rest of us about family values. Our families have values. But our government doesn’t.



You can’t blame your opponents for applying a strategy that beats your brains out with regularity.



People really don’t care if politicians attack each other with untrue stories. They figure if you don’t want to get hurt, you shouldn’t have filed for office. They figure whatever happens to us, our lives will be better than theirs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Looking to the rightLooking to the right
Looking to the right

I think that is west
Looking leftLooking left
Looking left

maybe east

Loose leaf bindersLoose leaf binders
Loose leaf binders

There is one for every month of Bill's presidency containing his itineraries


7th July 2013

Going to Oklahoma if you can see the memorial at night . Enjoyng your blog. Good luck @the casino. We
8th July 2013

Memorial
Barb, I don't drive the RV at night.......I am going Monday morning. Thanks for the tip, though. xxxox k

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb