Yikes ! Holy Mackeral , Egads!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arkansas » Benton
September 20th 2014
Published: September 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Can't believe it's almost time to "Put the seat backs up into their full upright position" for takeoff . It's becoming real, We are about to Walk the Talk . I just hope we can do this .

Please ,Don't misinterpret my doubt as lack of confidence , I have every bit of confidence I can get to France in good shape ,, its the walk up the mountain that has me concerned . But hey , if Napoleon Bonaparte can make it so can Laurie & I . I'm 100%!s(MISSING)ure Laurie can.

Here's how its going to happen. On the 26th of Sept in the morning after breakfast we will start heading out of St Jean and go west taking the Route Napoleon . Normally , a person will hike it in one day for appox 18 miles up the Pyrenees then down to Roncesvalles the famous Spanish town were Roland died protecting Charlemagne's retreat in 778 at the battle of Rancevoux Pass. We are not going all the way but are planning on staying at Refuge' Orisson which is just 5 milies from St Jean(but all steep uphill ). The next morning (27th ) we will finish for the day in Roncesvalles( 13 miles) .. or at least that's the plan.

We hear It will take a good week before we get our stride .Its this first week that will determine if we have trained enough to go the distance , whatever the distance actually is . The Map say's 500 miles . We plan to take our time and Carpe the Deim and do it according to our natural pace . Excitement Reins!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



20th September 2014

Are you going to ship your backpacks to the next alberge...
for the more difficult climbs, like the one to Orisson? I've been doing a cost/benefit...it cost money to ship but if I can cover twice the distance I can complete the walk in half the time...and at half the cost of alberges and food. I guess such calculations are not the mark of a TRUE PILGRIM. We must suffer. You have the right approach...go your own pace...stop and smell the flowers...and take as much time as necessary.
20th September 2014

Shipping Backbacks ?
Only if to prevent further injury . I am not concerned to much about the "True Pilgrim" designation although I thoroughly respect anyone that can make the 500 mile trek without assistance . Time will tell , once we get onto Orisson we will know more about our capabilities . Thanks for the recommendations!
23rd September 2014

All the best
Having some doubts is good - that shows you are thinking about things properly, not just assuming you will be okay. I think you will ... be okay, that is.
23rd September 2014

Hi There :)
Thank Brett .. we are on the plane and full of excitement and apprehension. . This is good !

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb