Lost Dutchman and the Superstitions


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
March 11th 2018
Published: March 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

After two nights in the comfy confines of the Queen Mine RV Park, we packed up again and pointed north. It was a pretty steep climb out of Bisbee, up, over, and through (a tunnel) the Mule Mountains. We went through Sierra Vista, where we stopped to fill one of our LP tanks, that first 30# tank had lasted us a long time. We continued up to I 10, through Tucson, and then on toward Phoenix. Now here we entered into the Sonoran Desert, and I issued a challenge -- who would be first to spot a saguaro cactus? Then I kept distracting the navigator to make it sure that I would prevail, and it worked like a charm! First there were one or two, but soon the were everywhere, pointing their goofy fat arms to the sky in all different ways.

After a bit, we left the interstate and headed off east of Phoenix towards the jagged Superstition Mountains, and our objective, Lost Dutchman State Park. It was surprising to see how much agriculture there is in that area, but that is clearly not the biggest business thereabouts. That business would have to be prisons -- I think we passed four separate, huge facilities, a growth industry there I guess.

In short order we arrive at the park, and we loved it immediately. It was really well taken care of, and as neat as a pin, with super nice bathrooms and showers. We had lucked into our spot, as someone had just cancelled when we called, and we had secured it for three nights. Ours was a "dry" site, no power or water, but it was fine for us. We were able to get the trailer lined up to receive good direct sunlight for a few hours in the morning, and that kept our batteries topped up nicely.

We got up pretty early the next morning and set out for a hike up into the mountains. We decided not to go the whole way to the top of the mountain, known as the "Flatiron" but we did make it up to the basin area, about half way. While Cathy chilled out there for a bit I took off on an off-trail excursion, traversing the other side of the canyon we were in. I made it up as far as a very cool balance rock atop a steep spire -- there was a great view from that spot. I wanted Cathy to take my picture while I was up there, but she couldn't see me from where she was, too bad.

After that, it was back to the campsite to relax and chill out, tomorrow will be another busy day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb