La Posada - a train back in time


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Winslow
August 10th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This one is one of our favorite places to stay.

An old railroad hotel painstakingly being restored - to offer a grand setting to unwind in. There's a lot of history to this place.

The recent history begins with Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter and Fred Harvey, who hired Colter to design the hotel. But La Posada closed in 1957; for the next 40 years, its future remained tenuous. Enter Allan Affeldt and his wife Tina Mion. Affeldt heard about the hotel and purchased it in 1997 after much negotiation, bringing with him a strong vision and commitment for returning La Posada to Colter’s original concept. Restoration started immediately and continues today.

The drive to LaPosada from Phoenix usually takes us 4 hours. We love the food @ the Turqoise room. You have to eat it to understand how fine SouthWest cuisine can be. My favorite is the Hopi Bread with Huimmus - while Sharda likes the Signature Soup (Corn) and Tamales with Polanta. Breakfast must include the Mary Jane Omlet and Arizona Green Chilli Eggs.

Thats about the food.

The rooms are all theme rooms. No 2 rooms are alike. Rooms are comfortable and yet rustic. For those who grew up near railroads, there is the added attraction of a goods train trundling along.

The painted desert is a short drive away. Thats for a seperate entry.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb