Day 4: Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
November 1st 2012
Published: November 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today started a little later than previous days at 7.30am in a motel in Mexican Hat on the San Juan River. It lies just outside the Navajo Tribe reservation and is run by members of their tribe. After breakfast we set off for Monument Valley about half an hour away. On the approach to the valley we were momentarily struck by the familiarity of the landscape from its many appearafilms in several films. The long straight road into the monuments is the road Forrest Gump ended his run in the film and there is a sign post to mark this.

We got to Monument Valley and went to the visitor centre where we observed some of the most stunning rock formations we have ever seen. We took photos at the view point and we went into the traditional huts that were used by the Navajo tribe over the centuries. We then visited a Navajo co-op and watched them making jewellery and we bought some gifts from here.

We arrived at The Grand Canyon National Park in the early afternoon and parked at Desert Point car park. From here we could see nothing of the canyon and the excitement was
palpable among the group on the walk from the coach to the view point. We approached the edge and were greeted with the most phenomenal sight we have every seen. It was quite moving, andscale yet again, the scale of the landscape was almost overwhelming. I cannot even begin to describe it here as I would do it no justice. It is difficult to comprehend the scale of the canyon without having visited it. To put it intocome context, it is an average of 10 miles wide and 1 mile deep! The immense view was justification enough to stand and stare for lengthy periods of time and take ridiculous numbers of photos. We walked for several miles along the south rim and with every step the scenery changed! Incredible experience.

Taking several students to the edge of the Grand Canyon was an amazing experience but we, as staff, were hesitant at best and panicky at worst when any students got any closer than 5 metres away from the unfenced edge.

After the canyon we went for dinner in a nearby town. The food so far have been great and tonight's restaurant was particularly good. A lovely restaurant with
a lovely selection of food.

We arrived at our hotel this evening in Williams, Arizona. Another Travelodge, just like the one in Vegas. Some of our hotels are definitely taking us back to basics but they are all clean and pleasant.

Tomorrow brings us Montezuma Castle and Phoenix. Time is flying and we are all having the most amazing time.

We are off to bed now and tomorrow also holds a lie in. Breakfast not til 8! Whoop! Goodnight all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb