Meteor Crater - a walk down memory lane


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Williams
April 26th 2010
Published: April 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

New Mexico panoramaNew Mexico panoramaNew Mexico panorama

Here's the view I saw that reminded me of the movie Cars.
Hello from Williams, AZ. It was a fairly easy 290 mile drive today once I got everything secured with the mirror incident and on the road. Today’s drive wasn’t difficult at all without a right side mirror. I was already planning to drive ‘around’ the Hoover Dam - crossing the Colorado River at Bullhead City, AZ and Laughlin, NV. Had I planned to drive over the dam (did that in DB back in 2008) I would have rerouted without the mirror. We should take the Hoover Dam route one direction heading back to the fun run later this week so I’ll get to see the progress of the new bridge being built across the Colorado just downstream from (and in sight of) the Hoover Dam.

I had a little walk down memory lane today - on several occasions. I drove through Holbrook, AZ (along Route 66) where I stayed back in 2008. Then I visited Meteor Crater which is about 20 miles west of Winslow, AZ (no I didn’t go ‘stand on a corner’ this trip - but I have done that twice in recent years!) In July of 1966 I saw Meteor Crater, along with the Grand Canyon and
Wigwam Motel - Holbrook, AZWigwam Motel - Holbrook, AZWigwam Motel - Holbrook, AZ

Here's a shot of the Wigwam Motel along Route 66 in Holbrook, AZ. It's one of three remaining Wigwam Motels. There were a dozen or so back in the 60s. Note the cool old cars they have parked there. I tried to stay here last September when I was driving back from Phoenix in Taz, but they were full.
Petrified Forest, on a road trip to California with my parents and Grandmother. I visited Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest back in 2008 so they weren’t on my itinerary this year.

When I stopped for fuel in Gallop, NM this morning I saw a scene that reminded me of the movie Cars. You probably won’t be able to see much detail in this multiple image panorama given how much I had to shrink it for the web, but it looked a little like some of the scenes where the mountains looked like the fins and hoods of old cars. I expect we’ll see better examples this weekend on the fun run.
It was also interesting to see the San Francisco Mountains (which are north of Flagstaff) from 70 + miles away.

Here are a few images from the day. Time to wind down and map out my strategy for tomorrow. I need to figure out which RV place I’m going to visit in Vegas to get the ball rolling on repairing the mirror.

Tuesday it’s Vegas or bust! Hope I don’t go bust - at least until I get to the casino!

As always, thanks for
Meteor Crater from 3 miles awayMeteor Crater from 3 miles awayMeteor Crater from 3 miles away

Here's a view across the desert with Meteor Crater about 3 miles off in the distance.
checking in and ‘traveling’ along with me.

Thanks, too, for all the comments and emails I’ve received. I typically don’t post the comments I receive online, but I do read them and appreciate hearing from you.





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

San Francisco MountainsSan Francisco Mountains
San Francisco Mountains

This is from the rim of Meteor Crater. You can see DB and Taz down in the parking lot. Humpreys Peak - at 12643 feet - is approximately 50 miles away.
Meteor Crater panoramaMeteor Crater panorama
Meteor Crater panorama

This is a four image stitched panorama of Meteor Crater.
Face in the rocks?Face in the rocks?
Face in the rocks?

Do you see a face in the rocks along the edge of the crater? In the background is the floor of the crater and some of the rocks that have fallen over the years.


27th April 2010

Pretty Cool Bruce...I think I visited there when I was 12...don't remember much but you're photos bring back a little something. Thanks for posting.
28th April 2010

amazing views
I never cease to be amazed at the wide open spaces that still exist out West. The photographs certainly capture it, but the "real thing" must be incredible indeed. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are having a good trip and that the mirror didn't prove to be a huge hassle. Let's hope the repair goes smoothly too. It would be fun to see some of the comments you receive. I'm sure most of us don't say anything profound, and our main reason for commenting is to let you know we're with you and enjoying the ride vicariously. Still, it would be fun to see an occasional comment or two. Thanks.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb