We're moving...again!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
November 4th 2013
Published: November 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Interior service baysInterior service baysInterior service bays

Lazydays Tucson has over 48 interior service bays for everything from minor repairs to full makeovers. When we were here, the bays were over 2/3 full and the majority of technicians are RIVA certified; instills great confidence in customers.
We're moving...again. Yep, but this is a "smaller" move.

As we mentioned previously, we have been having some issues with our RV. Possible cracked head gasket and linkage in the automatic transmission were key issues in our decision to stop at the Lazydays RV center in Tucson, AZ. We checked and they would do a complete inspection and let us know everything that was wrong and an estimate of what it would take to fix it. We knew some things we wanted fixed other than the two big ones mentioned--electric issue with fan and lights in bedroom, refrigerator not operating on propane, possible leaky seal in sewer, and on and on. Lazydays sold us the RV in Florida in 2004 and so we trusted them to give us good advice.

After we got in to the campground, we decided to just walk around and drool over the new RVs. A salesperson came and picked us up and asked what we were looking for. We told him our bottom line on monthly payments and then told him we had looked in August in Tampa at the Lazydays in Florida and got nowhere. He smiled and proceeded to take us to
Service area at LazydaysService area at LazydaysService area at Lazydays

Air pump, gas/diesel pump, and large propane storage. Before taking delivery, every RV is checked for tire pressure, filled with fuel and filled with propane....ready to roll!
look at various used RVs. To our surprise, we found a nice used coach that he "thought" we could afford.

We went back to the office, talked over the issues and then the salesman left to consult with the finance folks. He came back and made us an offer that was within our means. We told him we needed to think about it and would get back the next day. After reviewing the budget and savings accounts, we went back the next day to look again and take it for a test drive.

Wow! Big difference in the drive. This is a Fleetwood Southwind and is 32 feet long; our old coach was 26 feet. It also has 2 slide-outs to give more room in the living area and bedroom; we had none in our old. And the Southwind is heavier; it is 22,000 lbs compared to 12,000. The Southwind uses larger tires and they are set closer to the edge of he body. All of this makes for a more comfortable ride, less push from the wind. Now we will have to see how we do on gas consumption. We were getting about 10 MPG even while
Zack and TV cabinetZack and TV cabinetZack and TV cabinet

Zack proudly showed us his craftsmanship with our new TV and large storage cabinet. (Yes, Trish still wants to adopt him.)
towing a car with the older coach.

So after more soul searching and discussion via phone with some trusted friends, we decided to make the switch. Lazydays personnel are terrific and extremely customer oriented. The coach is sold "as-is" since it is 10 years old. But sales threw in a full Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) at $300 to give me a full accounting of any issues. We opted to pay for some of the issues (leaky faucet in kitchen, window seals cracked) and argued that several were health/safety issues (still sewage in tank needed emptied and sanitized) and they agreed. We also paid for some modifications we wanted, such as vent covers on the roof, digital TV antenna and replacement of the heavy old TV in the front with a new flat screen.

The change out of the TV took the longest. Our service technician, Zack, custom designed a frame from the old one, built a new interior to the old cabinet to provide additional storage, and then hung the new TV on the door and secured it so it would ride safely and yet unlatch and open when needed. It is fine craftsmanship and will provide lots
Side by sideSide by sideSide by side

"New" Southwind next to our old Winnie.
of enjoyment and relaxation to us on our trips.

Zack also did all the checking and repairs that were authorized by sales. For example, after moving in and staying at the Lazydays campground for a few days, we tried the hot water heater and the line blew off. We called service, Zack came and repaired it. Turned it back on, and about 30 minutes later, it blew again. Once more Zack came back and this time, put in new parts and added some silicon glue to hold. He asked us not to use it for 12 hours and then try it. I was walking through the service bay the next day and he wanted to know if it was OK; he was very personable and concerned. Then when we found a small leak by the toilet, Zack came out and inspected and provided advice. His first words as he came to the door were, "I think you people are trying to adopt me." Actually, Trish had said that earlier; she would loved to adopt him and take him back to Alabama. But Zack allowed as how his girl friend probably wouldn't be happy with that. Too bad.

We
Almost all put awayAlmost all put awayAlmost all put away

I failed to take a picture at the height of the frenzy. The interior had four boxes piled with dishes, food, clothes, etc. as well as larger items carried over. Trish worked furiously to find places for everything, then decided some "stuff" just wasn't needed to it either got tossed or put in a box to take home and used there.
thought moving in would be simple, take clothes from A, put in B. Hmmm, not so quick. We discovered that there was more internal space in the Winnebago than in the Fleetwood. This is probably due to the slides taking up space, or using the space for living area with a couch (folds out to a bed) and recliner chair. But the drawers are not as deep in the bedroom, nor are the closets. In the kitchen, the pantry is long and deep so cans put at the back are in the dark and could potentially be forgotten. sigh All things to work on over the next year. We piled up boxes and I hauled while Trish found places to stow.

When things got bogged down inside (I had carried over too many "things"), I started taking "stuff" out of the outside storage bins and putting into the new coach. We had more space outside than before. The difference was, I now had to remember where it was since it was all in a new configuration. There are a few glitches, but not bad.

Finally, all was transferred, stowed, and we spent an extra day just sitting,
From the front of the WinnieFrom the front of the WinnieFrom the front of the Winnie

At 26', we had drive/passenger seat, dinette, and then to the bedroom. Seemed like a lot back in 04.
relaxing (sort of) and figuring out how it all works. We have enjoyed the comfort so far and have questions for Zack next time he comes by prior to our leaving, but all in all are happy with the decision to upgrade and, as Trish said, get a "grown up RV". Our first 'baby' is sitting right next to us now, empty, no lights, forlorn, and abandoned.

Now, getting Slinky to accept has been harder. She came into the new coach, sniffed about, and promptly turned and left. We left the door open while we were working and let her come, if she wanted. But the door to the old coach was kept closed. Slinky was reluctant to come in, but finally I got her and put her in for the night. Trish brought over her bed and cardboard box "cave" and we showed her. She seemed pleased they were here, but apparently wanted them in the old coach. We had her favorite blankets and set food out. She didn't even want to eat. Finally, the old RV was emptied out and cleaned. Slinky went out of the new RV and headed right to the old and in; she
From the front of the SouthwindFrom the front of the SouthwindFrom the front of the Southwind

Drive/passenger seat, recliner and couch, dinette then on to the bedroom. Plus, with the slide out, lots more walkin about room.
looked around, looked for her bed, saw everything was gone and was very depressed. She went outside and hid under the coach. A bit later she came back in, looked again and looked at me with a question in her eyes of "WHY??" I picked her up and carried her back to the new coach. For over a day she stayed in her safety box/bed and barely ate. Finally she came out and started exploring. We let her out and she came back and in easily. Now she is sleeping on the couch, climbing onto the table to ask for food (and treats), and seems to have accepted the change. Not sure if she realizes this new place will have slides move in AND start moving down the road. We'll see how that goes.

Now we are ready to roll. We've been here ten days and are itching to get back. We'll drive safely and sanely, not over taxing ourselves as we adjust to the new rig, and hope to be home by next weekend. We'll post again along the way to let you know how it's going and if we see any special sights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Bedroom of WinnieBedroom of Winnie
Bedroom of Winnie

Not huge, but a queen bed. However, large rear window and two good sized side windows.
Bedroom of SouthwindBedroom of Southwind
Bedroom of Southwind

Still a queen sized bed but now a larger cedar lined hang up closet. However, two smaller windows on each side at head of bed and one smaller window at foot.
From the bedroom of the WinnieFrom the bedroom of the Winnie
From the bedroom of the Winnie

Note the narrowness of the coach. Cozy at first, but could be confining. Coffee pot is on dash because only other place to store it is on side in a large drawer.
From the bedroom of the SouthwindFrom the bedroom of the Southwind
From the bedroom of the Southwind

Note how wide it is with the slide out. And I am sitting at the "computer pull out tray" way up front, where I have a 12v and and 110 v outlet to plug in. We also bought a hassock to use with the couch.
Slinky in her "happy place"Slinky in her "happy place"
Slinky in her "happy place"

The box has a small opening and her favorite bed inside. The box is on the back outside wall with a narrow passage to get there. Makes it difficult for Trish to get in bed or make it, but the cat is happy. And isn't that what is REALLY important?


3rd November 2013

Wow!
You must feel like you're moved into a penthouse with this baby! Looks really comfy. Hope you enjoy many hours with the new RV!

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb