Tucson/Tombstone Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Tucson
September 22nd 2005
Published: September 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Stage Backdrop from Bird Cage TheatreStage Backdrop from Bird Cage TheatreStage Backdrop from Bird Cage Theatre

This is the original backdrop/curtain in the Bird Cage theatre. Kim and I walked on the stage during part of the tour...you could wander around at your leisure and take photos.
Tucson/Tombstone

Kim and I drove from Roswell, NM to Tucson, AZ in about 8 hours. We left at 3:00am so we could beat the heat and majority of the traffic. It was eerily quiet driving through the mountains outside of Roswell in a town named Ruidoso Downs. We were the only car on the road for miles and miles. We were lucky enough to see the sunrise over the mountains and enjoyed every minute of it. What a sight!

We arrived in Tucson around 11:00am and were able to check in to our hotel early. It’s a good thing because we were pretty tired. My Aunt Helen and Uncle Mike live in Tucson so they picked us up for dinner. They chose a wonderful Mexican restaurant named La Fuente….the atmosphere was awesome. Mariachi band, hanging plants, candle lit tables and courtyards with fountains…what more could you ask for??? Good food and good margaritas? This place had it all. We were pretty tired so called it a night pretty early.

The next day (9/22) we took a day trip to Tombstone, AZ. This place is famous for its rough reputation during the 1880’s. Ever hear of Boot Hill Graveyard?
Inside the Bird CageInside the Bird CageInside the Bird Cage

This the view facing the stage. There are lofts (skyboxes)on the upper level that were rented to cowboys for $25.00 per night.
It’s there. Ever hear of the gunfight at OK Corral? It was there. Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday were two of Tombstone’s famous residents. Tombstone is about 70 miles south east of Tucson but we didn’t mind the drive because some of it is back roads so we could enjoy the scenery along the way.

Of course Tombstone is pretty commercialized and touristy…however it’s neat to get in the spirit of things and enjoy. Kim and I saw the movie “Tombstone” starring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer about a month ago…so we were up on some of the local legends before we arrived. So we knew what to expect. However the one place that blew us away was the Bird Cage Theatre. This place is almost all original because the owners boarded up the place when it closed in the late 1880’s and it wasn’t opened up again until the 1930’s as a tourist attraction. This place had QUITE a reputation back in the day….brothel, saloon and casino. It is surreal to know you are walking around in this
place and looking at the same bar, draperies, mirrors, paintings, tables and chairs as Wyatt Earp, etc. In fact they
Close up of "Cage"Close up of "Cage"Close up of "Cage"

The draperies are original...the artwork is all original.
still have the gaming table and chairs used by Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp. We took several pictures of the interior because there is so much to see and absorb.

We also did a fair amount of shopping, picture taking and watched a re-enactment of the gunfight at the OK Corral…AT the OK Corral. We also visited Boot Hill. There are around 250 people buried there….a lot of them victims of gunfights, saloon brawls, and hangings.

The most surprising thing about the drive to Tombstone is how much greenery is visible…grass, trees and shrubs. In one place we swore we were back in Indiana….cornfields and cows!

STAY TUNED FOR OUR NEXT DAY….The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View from TombstoneView from Tombstone
View from Tombstone

This is the view from Boot Hill Grave Yard. Such a beautiful view...peaceful.
Re-enactment close upRe-enactment close up
Re-enactment close up

This is a photo I took during the gunfight at OK Corral re-enactment. The local newspaper is the "Tombstone Epitaph".
Allen StreetAllen Street
Allen Street

The 'main drag' in Tombstone. The wheel tracks are from the stagecoach that goes up and down the street. No cars are allowed.
Gun Fight at OK CorralGun Fight at OK Corral
Gun Fight at OK Corral

A mock up of the gun fight. Notice how close together the men were standing. It was all over in about 30 seconds. 3 of the 'cowboys' were killed.
Kim in TombstoneKim in Tombstone
Kim in Tombstone

The pink building is the side of the Bird Cage...Kim is standing just below Allen Street.


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1009s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb