Havasu Falls 2010


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Supai
June 4th 2010
Published: May 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


In June of 2010 my family and I had one of our greatest adventures. We began by flying to Las Vegas and stayed at the Tahiti Village. It was an awesome place that had two giant swimming pools. One of these pools was a lazy river. This place was very family oriented and was a super place to stay. We then drove over the Hoover Dam and down the historic Route 66 to the Cavern Inns that is located just outside of Peach Springs, AZ. The Cavern Inns was nothing special, but it was the closest motel to the trailhead to Supai. We arrived at the trail head at 6:30 am to get an early start before the sun came up, and hiked 8 miles to Supai. The scenery was unbeleivable. As we walked you see the sides of the canyon slowley rise above you. We are passed by the native people who are incredable horsemen. They pack their supplies into the canon by horseback on a daily basis. It took us 4.5 hours to walk to the village. You can tell that you are getting close when you notice more trees and green shrubs that grow around the beautiful creek that comes from an underground river. This creek runs through the village and is their source of water. This creek also flows over several sets of falls including the Havasu Falls, Moody Falls, and Beaver Falls before running into the mighty Colorado River. After refreshing ourselves at the local cafe in the village we contined our walk for another two miles to the campgrounds. It was such an unbeleiveable site seeing Havasu Falls for the first time. This 50ft falls flows over a mound of travertine that is created from the minerals that are in the creek water. Our primative camp site was awesome. We are next to the creek and only a short walk to the restrooms and the water source.

The following morning we started to Moody Falls and Beaver Falls. This was the best part of the trip. We packed a lunch and spent the day walking. It was fun seeing all of the people cralling out of their tents as we walked through the campground. Our first obsticle was the climb down to the base of Moody Falls. This 100 ft falls was the most beautiful of all the water falls we saw. We squeezed through a cave like hole in the wall and scaled down the sheer face of the falls to the falls pool. We criss crossed the river for the next three miles to Beaver Falls. Beaver Falls is a series of small falls. We stopped here and stayed for most of the day. We swam, ate lunch and napped in the shade. All of us kids took turns jumping from a rock into the river. Once the sun crossed to the other side of the canyon we walked back to camp. It is interesting to note that everything looked different on the way back to camp. The loaction of the sun changes the the look of the canyon.

After a couple of days camping in the canyon we walked back up to the village and spent the night in the lodge. It was nice to take a shower and sleep in an air conditioned room after sleeping on the hot rocks of the Grand Canyon. The next morning we jumped on the helicopter and flew back to the trail head. From here we drove to the Grand Canyon National park and visted the canyon at its most popular vantage point. It is truly a imperssive place to visit. We spent the night at the Red Feather Lodge before we drove back to Las Vegas.

It was truely an awesome experierence and I'm looking forward on going back to visit the small village of Supai. I learned alot and I'm looking forward to going again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 291, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb