Summer Camp Ends


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Show Low
September 29th 2013
Published: September 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Rainbow Rainbow Rainbow

After Monsoon
We've really enjoyed our summer in Show Low, Arizona, elevation of 6,000 ft. Despite the near-daily monsoons, the days have been sunny and cool (for Arizona that is.) Tom and I were happy with the golf course at Juniper Ridge. I started golfing with friend Jane in a ladies four-some and actually didn't do too badly.

Black Mesa Ranch had an open house last week. New friends Weezie and Dick (a retired military nuclear physicist) shared their Road Trek. Linda and Ken, in their Suburban, lead us down the washboard roads of Snowflake, AZ for this adventure. This is a goat ranch. The goats are bottle-fed by the owners as they want the milking goats to keep on making milk once the kids are grown.

The ranch is off the grid. Dozens of solar panels bring in the power to run this family business. The property is patrolled by Turkish Labs, a larger, thinner version of a yellow lab. These friendly dogs are not herders. They are bred in Turkey to protect goats. Not one goat has been lost to coyotes. But, two coyotes looking for breakfast, were killed and delivered to the goat Manager by the Labs. The open house ended in the store where the husband-owner, a former pastry chef, gave us samples of the confections and goat cheese. You might look for their label at Whole Foods Grocery. A fun day.

Our neighborhood had a final happy-hour and potluck dinner this week as everyone starts to head out for the winter. We will be in Verde Valley (Cottonwood) Arizona in October. Elevation is just 3,000 ft!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

DaveDave
Dave

with Stockyard Lab


1st October 2013

We'll miss you guys
Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time. Where are you headed for the winter this year? We just sold our RV and bought a waterfront(canal front) home on Lake June in Lake Placid, FL. Just moved in on Friday, so things are still a bit hectic. We will miss all the great people we've met. If you're in Peace River, give us a call, please.
19th November 2013

Lake Placid
We must assume there is pickleball at your new home! We will be in Arizona this winter. Miss you two!
4th October 2013

So cute !!!!!!
Hi Karen and Tom; Thanks for the update. So glad to hear you had a good winter. Love the goats lying on the verandah in the sun. Look forward to seeing you in a few months. Love Nan~
19th November 2013

Missing you guys
We are in a holding pattern near Phoenix right now and hoping to meet up with ya'll in Casa Grande after the holidays. Just can't commit yet. Happy holidays!

Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb