The Sedona That Shouldn't Be


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
November 7th 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 34.8408, -111.776

It causes almost physical pain to see stupid retail shops built so near these breathtaking cliffs. It's criminal. It just shouldn't be. Arizona caved on this one--this should be a national park, not the purview of the wealthy.
Visit this eye-popping place and you can see how, were it not for national park status, the Grand Canyon could be another Sedona with trinket shops lining canyon walls.
We parked the car in a multi-level garage behind some businesses on Highway 89A, the main drag. The view from the garage, the GARAGE, was gorgeous. You can't get a bad view in this town.
It makes me hurt to see houses built on scarlet cliff ledges, restaurants on the banks of Oak Creek, fast food junksters below wind swept rock pillars.
You can't duplicate this setting. There's only one.
It should've been a national park. No place on earth deserves it more.

For more pictures of Sedona check out, "Had To Tweak My Aura," entry #22.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bell Rock, the Redest of RedsBell Rock, the Redest of Reds
Bell Rock, the Redest of Reds

The highway runs close enough to Bell Rock to reach out and touch it. And BTW, it's so red you don't need to touch up your photos--the color is really this deep.
Bridge Over Oak Creek CanyonBridge Over Oak Creek Canyon
Bridge Over Oak Creek Canyon

It's a long way down to Oak creek at this point!
Railing Shadows on RockRailing Shadows on Rock
Railing Shadows on Rock

This railing separates the hiker from a straight drop off of several hundred feet.


8th November 2009

These are wonderful! I love seiing the pics of you guys and my mom enjoying nature.
8th November 2009

Yep, she's a cutie!! And we're having the best time. We're thinking we might just keep her;)
18th November 2009

cool place.
18th November 2009

You actually read my blog, Good job! And it really is a cool place--everybody loves Sedona once you get over the fact that it's been built to death.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb