The Road of No Return


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
March 9th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When our plane landed in Flagstaff and I stepped outside, I knew I was in trouble. Six inches of snow on the ground, and me in my "breathable" (read - not waterproof) hiking shoes. First stop: Big 5 Sporting Goods. $40 for steel-toed Gortex hiking boots... not a bad deal! As we neared Sedona, the snow turned into rain and I found myself wondering what kind of joke they were playing when they said March was part of the prime season to visit.

The entrance road to our cabin was somewhere underneath the flooding creek, so we parked across the street in a mud-pit and trudged over the footbridge with our luggage. The entire first day was pouring down rain. Kevin slept in while I sat in the cabin practicing watercolor. I have to say that if you're going to be stuck inside on vacation, a cabin in the woods that overlooks the creek is much better than some nasty hotel room. Later on, we ventured out to do some shopping and then had a hot stone massage at the Sedona Rouge Spa.

The next day, we woke up to find everything covered with snow. We hung out in the cabin most of the morning and then after it stopped, we ventured out to go hiking. The red rocks looked amazing with the new snowfall and the fog toward the top just gave everything this hazy fantasy look. We hiked most of Devil's Bridge trail before it started snowing again and we decided to head back.

The next day was our last day in Sedona, and thankfully the weather was absolutely gorgeous. The snow had melted and the skies were blue... a perfect day for our Pink Jeep Tour. We took the Broken Arrow tour, which supposedly takes you through an area where the 1950's western movie Broken Arrow was filmed.

Though Kevin was a little reluctant at first to ride in a pink jeep, he quickly came around when the jeep started climbing over rocks the size of small cars. And then rocks that were, well, bigger than the Jeep. The tour took us up to Submarine Rock and Chicken Point for amazing views of the landscape, and then bouncing back down the "Road of No Return".

Arriving back at town, we all checked to make sure we still had all the body parts we left with and made a mental note to schedule the massage AFTER the jeep tour next time. Then it was off to our next adventure... the Grand Canyon. But, that's for another blog post. Don't forget to watch the video!


*Scroll down for more photos *





Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb