A Memorable Twenty-Four Hours in Sedona, AZ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Sedona
August 11th 2018
Published: August 11th 2018
Edit Blog Post

On our last adventure out west, my husband and I were fortunate to travel to Sedona, Arizona. We made our way to this gorgeous landscape from our arrival in Scottsdale, Arizona. After spending our first night in the city, we asked the hotel clerk at the front desk where we should visit as we made our way to an area of the world where, as we were told by many of our friends and family, we could experience some of the most beautiful sunrises imaginable. She suggested taking a loop around Jerome, a quirky mountainside town full of art galleries, offbeat eateries and shops. We were up for an adventure, and taking the backwoods route seemed like a more daring and exciting idea than going down the highway the entire time, so we heeded her advice. After grabbing a quick breakfast of coffee and danishes, we headed that way.

For a brief history lesson, the city of Jerome sits on the very top of what's known as Cleopatra Hill. You can find it roughly between Flagstaff and Prescott, Arizona and if you aren't diligently looking out for it, you could easily miss it. I remember gripping the car handle as we wove around the many switchbacks that took us up the mountain. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking, but I think mine was also taken out of a little bit of panic over being up so high. However, the ascent was well worth it. Also referred to as America's Most Vertical City and the Largest Ghost Town in America, Jerome was a mining town and still has that old-timey feel that is hard to replicate anywhere else. We took a chance and parked in front of a Mexican grill named Vaqueros Grill and Cantina. We chose that restaurant in particular because there was a funky dressed man break dancing right in front of the restaurant entrance for tips! He also had a little banjo and was playing a lively tune. If he was excited about eating at this restaurant, we thought we should be as well! We were so glad we took his advice. There, we enjoyed one of the most delicious blue cheeseburgers we have ever had. It was piled high with grilled peppers, creamy blue cheese and decadent toppings. The decor was Western chic, with cattle decorations all over the walls, along with sombreros and other traditional gear. We took our time eating and savored the entire experience of being in such a fun and interesting little place. Then, we strolled around the town a little longer before making our way around to Sedona.

Once there, we checked into our hotel. We were told by the kind staff behind the counter that there was an area in the backyard garden that was optimal for star gazing. It was not quite sunset yet, so we made a note to check it out then, headed out to find somewhere to grab a bite to eat dinner. By this point, our cheeseburgers, deluxe as they were, had long left us. Had we been more savvy travelers, we would have asked around to see where the locals in Sedona love to dine. We would have consulted an online ratings website to find the best restaurants nearby. Instead, we settled on the first cafe we came to, a sweet Sci-Fi themed diner. Our waiter was incredibly animated and lively and was the ideal way to end our hectic yet beautiful day of travel. We split an order of cheese fries and each got a chocolate milkshake. We spent about an hour talking about the events of our day and the things we had planned on our itinerery for the next day, then headed back to the hotel to discover if the backyard spot truly was the best place to see the stars in the city.

Turns out, the staff members were correct. We stayed outside for hours as other visitors wove in and out of the shared space. We marveled at how calm the wind was, how pleasant the evening was and how brightly the stars shone. We are both from a tiny town in North Carolina and to be so far from home under the same sky was awe-inspiring and humbling to say the least. We sat out there on a small wooden bench near the back of the property, feeling very small against the vast night.

While we were out there, we met another couple visiting the area from California. They told us that right up from our hotel was the best place to catch a Sedona sunrise. At that point, the hour was nearing midnight and the idea of getting up the next morning in time to catch the sunrise seemed a little crazy to us, but we were excited about the idea and knew it was an opportunity that would likely only come around once in a lifetime. So that night, we set our alarms and made every effort to get up in time.

I don’t know if it was the adrenaline or too much coffee the night before, but we got up in plenty of time to see the gorgeous sunrise over the Sedona mountainscape. We had so much time beforehand, in fact, that we were able to grab a coffee and breakfast from the local bakery, climb a short summit near the hotel, and return to our viewing spot before the entire sunrise was complete. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. For her honeymoon, my sister went on a private Thailand tour and sent us all back photographs every day of the amazing sunrises and sunsets she and her new husband were taking in. Though I have never been to Thailand, I have to say the Sedona sunrise was equally as beautiful and almost other-worldly. I have yet to see one that rivals it. Then again, I have yet to anticipate one so fully. We were far from the only ones who got up to take in this wonder. There was a huge crowd of people at the main overlook, all with their hands wrapped around warm mugs of coffee, their toboggans on their heads, and their arms wrapped around their loved ones. We felt a great sense of community and could truly sense the spirit of Sedona in that moment.

Before we fully left Sedona, we made a stop at the Red Rocks State Park. We practically had the place to ourselves and had the best time wandering the trails that led all around the property. We did have to pause, however, at a sign that was posted right outside the trail entrance, warning that rattlesnakes called the area home. My husband is terribly afraid of snakes and second-guessed going on the adventure but I was able to convince him that the experience and adventure were worth the risk. Turns out, we got a little bit lost traveling the trails and ended up having to pull out our phones to get a map of the area out. We had tried to hard to digitally detox during this trip, but some things just require a little assistance from a smart device, I suppose. I was surprised we did not encounter any other couples or travelers out in the park, but then again, by the time we made it over it was nearing sunset and closing time anyway. It felt like we were exploring the Wild West in a different era, with boulders around every turn and gorgeous barren landscape all around.

The next part of our Arizona tour would take us to the Grand Canyon, which I will post about soon. That is one place where we fully intend to take our children back to some day. It is a bucket list item, for sure, and once I am glad to have checked off mine. We had heard about the wonder of the Grand Canyon our entire lives, but never having traveled west of Tennessee, we wondered if we would ever get to experience it and see it for ourselves. We booked a short tour of the area and dined in an on-site restaurant overlooking the canyon itself, which was a real treat.

It was massive and overwhelmingly beautiful, but I have to say that the first leg of our trip, which led us to the secluded and creative town of Jerome and then to the incredible landscape of Sedona, was arguably my favorite. Back home, the landscape is very different from what you find out west. There are no wide open fields full of nothing but tumbleweeds. There are no cacti, red clay mountains, or cliffs that stretch high into the sky. Yet, to someone unacclimated to our part of the country, I’m sure North Carolina is equally beautiful to them. Traveling brings out a new appreciation in us, not only for places unseen but for those we are already used to. Sedona, Arizona was an example of such a place, and one that my husband I will certainly never forget.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb