Hiking Twists Your Mind


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Scottsdale
November 2nd 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Lost Dog TrailheadLost Dog TrailheadLost Dog Trailhead

The McDowell Sonoran Preserve is the largest urban preserve in the country. Photo courtesy greensource.construction.com because their photo was lots better than mine.
Geo: 33.494, -111.921

Hiking in Phoenix twists your mind. Because you actually hike IN the city. But not in the city like down city streets--you're in nature preserves that wrap you in solitude, surround you with desolation, and thrill you with singular beauty. All this while being actually very close to the congestion and stress of the city you're escaping.

We hiked up Lost Dog Wash Trail in the McDowell-Sonoran Preserve, a 36,400 acre preserve--that's 1/3 the total land area of Scottsdale and the largest urban preserve in the county.

Lost Dog Wash trail is an entry point to the preserve, a gentle hike up to Taliesin Overlook with majestic views of the north valley, Camelback, Squaw Peak and Pinnacle Peak, and breakoff points to other trails.

Check out the photos for the continuing discoveries of bobnkaren.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

New Trailhead FacilitiesNew Trailhead Facilities
New Trailhead Facilities

In this fragile environment, you have to think green. Photo courtesy greensource.construction.com. I thought this description was cool: "Sustainable-design elements within the main structure include a 3,000-watt roof integrated PV solar array, which provides 100 percent of the trailhead's energy needs. Composting systems used in restrooms will save approximately 200,000 gallons of water annually. Graywater and rainwater harvested from the roof and stored in a 4,000-gallon underground irrigation cistern supplies 75,000 gallons of irrigation water per year. As a result, the project's only utility connection is for potable drinking water."
Gorgeous Stands of Cholla CactusGorgeous Stands of Cholla Cactus
Gorgeous Stands of Cholla Cactus

The Cholla is sometimes called the Teddy Bear cactus, but there's nothing cuddly about it.
Bob & I with the North Valley belowBob & I with the North Valley below
Bob & I with the North Valley below

Our new friends, the ones who insisted I have their coupon for a free birthday cake, snapped this evidence of our ascent to Taliesin Overlook.
Bobby with our Great New FriendsBobby with our Great New Friends
Bobby with our Great New Friends

These guys were very fun. If you see them, say hello for us.
Don't Drink The CactusDon't Drink The Cactus
Don't Drink The Cactus

No, no, no. It won't save you in the desert, it will give you a belly ache and diarrhea. It's very alkaline. But you can whap off a slice and put it on sore spots to relieve pain. Or hollow it out and use it for cooking--just add hot rocks. Or make a gruel from the ground seeds. Or cook the buds for a cabbage-like food. Or imbed the spines in hard pitch and use as an awl or prick yourself a tattoo or two. But DON'T DRINK IT. ver' bad
Wash of Lost Dog WashWash of Lost Dog Wash
Wash of Lost Dog Wash

It's up the wash and down the wash and up the wash and down the wash and...


2nd November 2009

Awesome! You look like you're having fun! Don't forget about us poor little Diva friends who are freezing our bottoms off up north!
2nd November 2009

Re: Awesome! I would never forget my cute little divas!!!! I miss you guys and I think about you every, every day and how I can torment you with this balmy weather.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb