Rocks and Rolling


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Safford
May 6th 2012
Published: May 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

City of Rocks State Park, New Mexico
It was Sunday morning quiet as we drove through Deming heading north up Hwy 180. We had been told by several people that we needed to see City of Rocks State Park twenty-some miles to the north. They weren’t kidding, it was spectacular with great boulders tumbled together in a fairly flat valley. And the cool thing was the campsites were tucked among the rocks. It was mostly dry camping (no hookups) but they had a few sites with hookups, but they were out in the open. It is definitely a place we’d like to come back and camp. At one campsite there was a female long-eared owl in a nest high in a rock cavity. We looked for the male, who is normally nearby, but never spotted him.

From there we traveled on to Silver City where we stopped for gas and a few items at Walmart, our home away from home. Our plan was to drive up state hwy 15 to Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, but after 7 miles of steep, winding road we were turned back by a bicycle race which had the road closed. We could have gone to Gila on another more circuitous route, but decided instead to come on to Roper Lake State Park in Arizona. This park has a lake for swimming and hot springs for soaking, along with lots of birds and plenty of daytime heat, though it cools nicely at night.

We’re not due in Phoenix until Tuesday, so we’ll see what’s next.

More later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

path to campsitepath to campsite
path to campsite

City of Rocks SP
another campsiteanother campsite
another campsite

City of Rocks SP
City of Rocks SPCity of Rocks SP
City of Rocks SP

Shady campsite
City of Rocks SPCity of Rocks SP
City of Rocks SP

another view
Female Long-eared OwlFemale Long-eared Owl
Female Long-eared Owl

In nest in rock cavity
BunniesBunnies
Bunnies

at Roper Lake SP, Arizona
Roper Lake SPRoper Lake SP
Roper Lake SP

view from our campsite


8th May 2012

City of Rocks
Wow, that is beautiful! Don't know how we missed this one… So enjoying your blogs and can see you are having a good time. Thanks for sharing :)

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 70; dbt: 0.137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb