BLM Campsite


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Quartzsite
December 23rd 2022
Published: March 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

MiloMiloMilo

We parked east to west to maximize getting sun on the solar panels. Once we elevated the back 3 panels we were collecting enough solar power to charge our batteries and rarely had to run the generator.
Our campsite for the winter was at La Posa South BLM (Bureau of Land Management) just south of Quartzsite. We joined Patti & Karl, Stacey & Walt, Moira & Chuck, and Kimberly & David in a great site that backed up to a wash (a dry creek, most of the time). The site is about a mile and a half from the BLM entrance.BLM land is boondocking; there is no electricity available and water is centrally located. We get electricity from our solar panels (mostly) or our on-board generator feeding our lithium batteries. We fill 5 gallon jugs with water and pump it into our fresh water tank. Mike installed a propane adapter on the RV, so we can hook up a seven gallon portable LP tank. We bought a 36-gallon "honey wagon" to empty our black and gray water tanks. The RV can now sit for a couple months at a time. Between the group we had 3 screen houses in addition to our RVs/tents. We shared a central fire ring and enjoyed many evening campfires with our SoloStove. There are gorgeous views of mountains in every direction. We enjoyed our time here with friends-longtime and new!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Solar Panels RaisedSolar Panels Raised
Solar Panels Raised

Raising and tilting the rear solar panels avoids shadows from the winter sun low in the sky. We tethered them with straps side-to-side to withstand 40 to 50 mph wind gusts.
VannaVanna
Vanna

Patti & Karl have a conversion van and screen tent. We are so impressed with how they travel! Vanna can fit into places Milo is too large to navigate.
BoxyBoxy
Boxy

Stacey & Walt are friends we met here in Quartzsite. We have so enjoyed getting to spend time with them here in AZ. They travel in a converted box truck. Very clever design!
Western EdgeWestern Edge
Western Edge

Moira & Chuck are new friends from Alberta. We love them and their sweet dog Trixie. They took all of us out on rides in the desert in their side by side! Moira shared her painting talents with the ladies; teaching us some new techniques.
Across the WashAcross the Wash
Across the Wash

Since our site backed up to a wash, we did not have anyone camping behind us. So nice to walk down the hill and be in the desert for hikes.
TentsTents
Tents

Kimmberly & David are new friends from California. They live on a sailboat. Came to Quartzsite to get away from the crazy California storms. Their desert domicile was several tents. Unfortunately, we have had a very windy winter. They left early to get back to California and life on the water.
Solo Stove CampfiresSolo Stove Campfires
Solo Stove Campfires

We enjoyed campfires when it wasn't too windy and we could find wood in town.
Dump stationDump station
Dump station

The line at the dump station can get quite long during the RV show.


4th April 2023

Winter home
Hi Mike and Lois, we so miss Quartzsite and our desert family already!
7th April 2023

Desert Friends
We miss all of you! Until we meet up again down the road.
21st April 2023

We miss you all as well! See you down the road, soon!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb