Too Much Bull


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
January 31st 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.4479, -112.083

The Sixty Five Years Young Birthday Tour continued after a series of second-childhood adventures that included chasing aliens, sand tobogganing, and, most recently, stomping through an old western town playing out cowboy gunslinger fantasies. Shady Lady was starting to get a little weak-kneed every time Dusty Dave B tied his imaginary horse to the railings outside of our hotel, and now Dusty Dave almost always walks with his thumbs hooked in his belt loops- part of that is probably the new cowboy swagger he has, but I suspect it's largely because his belt doesn't fit after his steak misadventure in the Big Texan Steak Ranch. With all this renewed testosterone and estrogen flying around we think we overheard them talking about trying for more kids.

Then came Buckin' Bully, the meanest, nastiest, wildest mechanical bull in Arizona.

Before Bully, however, we spent some time at Gammon's Gulch, a ghost town with a population of 2 people (as far as we could tell), one of whom was an ex-Hollywood type who has perfected the art of storytelling without breathing (he even plays a little honky tonk piano and banjo in the town saloon). Jay Gammon spent 30 years driving around, buying buildings, and moving them to a complete western town way out in the Arizona desert- the site has been used as the set for several movies and documentaries. I'm sure there's been a few too many days in the blazing sun without a hat, but you have to admire a guy who builds an old west town in the middle of nowhere just because…

A couple more stops on the way to Phoenix and then came Buckin' Bully!!

Bully is a permanent resident of The Saddle Ranch restaurant in Glendale AZ. After the cowboy shirt I wore in Amarillo, Shady Lady had been questioning my masculinity so I was looking to restore my tough guy persona and I jumped on first and I'm pretty sure the operator had the settings set on super-high (even if the video looked a bit like slow motion). I was tossed in short order and Dusty Dave B sashayed over, and, after a slightly awkward looking rear mount, almost immediately injured himself. He should have flagged down the operator for a mercy shut-down but he was too busy trying to hang on. He was flung off (we thought we heard a little girl squeal) and staggered back to our table with tears in his eyes and a new voice tone several octaves higher.

Suffice to say, Shady Lady and Dusty Dave are no longer planning on having more kids.


Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th March 2016

looks like you were the only visitors that day
8th March 2016

Vic, you are looking pretty relaxed and trusting with DH holding a razor at your throat...oh, on second look it's just a regular one not a straight razor you're okay. DH you look devious in this shot.
8th March 2016

Getting off or being thrown off?
9th March 2016

I was faster on the draw then Dave, that was such a fun day! I think Dave is still recovering from that bull ride....hmmmm Cotton candy!!
9th March 2016

I'm sure you didn't even scrape the surface in Arizona! It's beautiful in the Mountains to...everything is RED!
9th March 2016

She look very comfortable!!
9th March 2016

Of course! There just has to be one of those!
9th March 2016

Fits right in! LOL!
9th March 2016

Gross! Anything for a picture....
12th March 2016

Videos worked and looks like you and the gang are having a real blast in the desert.
15th March 2016

no saddle or stirrups? That was impressive. Thanks for slowing the video down so we could catch the action.

Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0782s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb