Phoenix


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Phoenix
November 6th 2015
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 33.4479, -112.083

We left Tucson and drove up toward Phoenix. We took a side trip to Casa Grande Ruins National Monument. It is a large house built around 1350AD. It was built by Indian tribes that roamed the area around that time. They built a compound and the big house was in the center of it.
After visiting there, we checked into our hotel, had a nap and then dinner. This morning, we got up and headed out to Deer Valley Rock Art Center. It is a huge pile of basalt rocks that have petroglyphs carved into them. They were carved around the same time as the Casa Grande. After visiting there, we drove over to Taliesin West, which is Frank LLoyd Wright's western studio. His first studio was in Wisconsin. After he developed pneumonia, his doctor told him to go to Arizona to live. He and his wife moved there and bought 600 acres of land near Scottsdale. He started a school of architecture and actually had his students build his house that he designed! We took a tour of the house and grounds. It is quite unusual.
Tomorrow, we leave for Barstow. We are taking the scenic route and will be traveling on Route 66 for about 80 miles in Northern Arizona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

dragondragon
dragon

This dragon actually spits out flames!


Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb