Are we there yet? Day 6


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 of the road trip takes us to the Petrified Forest. We got a late start due to the car problem, so we dropped our plans to go to Sedona. However, we were not disappointed, we entered the park via Route 40, the views of the Painted Desert were spectacular. Although Route 66 generally follows the path of the current Route 40, the original Route 66 cut through the Painted Desert at the park, which is still marked with a line of telephone poles. The Petrified trees are located at the southern end of the park, 27 miles from where we entered. It was extremely windy, as seen on some of the photos of my hair. The pictures speak for themselves, but do not do it justice. We had dinner in Historic Flagstaff at a micro brewery, and tasted their pale ale. Yes, there is a theme running here! Tomorrow we head to the Grand Canyon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Adobe house restored  and rest areaAdobe house restored  and rest area
Adobe house restored and rest area

The inside had Route 66 era furnishings and memorabilia
Petrified tree in parkPetrified tree in park
Petrified tree in park

In the early days of park, people removed many of the petrified rocks to sell for profit.


25th April 2013

WOW - How awesome
Hello Al and Linda. It looks like a little piece of heaven on earth. So glad you are having a good time and no real dramas. Our country is very beautiful and diverse. I bet you were very good at the ax throwing Al ; - ) Wanted to let you know Dan received a new heart and is doing fine. He is now driving which I am not sure about but what can I say. Thanks so much for the blog entries. I look forward to them each day. Be safe!!
25th April 2013

Trip is great
Please share with everyone at office I only added you to subscribers
25th April 2013

Day 6 pictures
Pictures are GREAT. Have a great trip.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb