Adventures in Arizona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Page
December 2nd 2015
Published: December 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

R: Another one in short succession. Today we went to the most amazing place. I'm going to let the pictures do the talking (scroll right to the bottom for more!). We stayed overnight in Page, which is an extremely dull new town that was built for the construction of the dam. It did have a great street that had all the towns churches in one handy cluster (10+), but that was about as exciting as it got.

In the morning we took a pickup truck out to Upper Antelope canyon which is a slot canyon, meaning it's no more than a metre wide in places, and the sandstone gets carved by successive flood waters leaving amazing whirlpool marks, debris and etchings in the Najavo sandstone. The floodwaters enter every summer, some being higher than others, and is enough to drown anyone unlucky enough to be in thhere when it happens. In the summer you can get beams of light that enter the canyon and hit the ground below (google it if you want to see). You can walk right through the canyon but only with a guide. An amazing experience - we couldn't recommend it enough. It gives great light effects on the walls and its eerily quiet in there when you break away from the tour for a bit.

Incidentally, there are no antelope in the canyon - you may be disappointed to hear. Having been in there though, I think it would be pretty terrifying for a herd of antelope to suddenly emerge amongst the tourists in the darkness.

After that we headed for a look out over the Colorado river where it forms a sharp 200 degree bend in the rock, had lunch in the Walmart car park (after having our purchase of a single salad scrutinised by security) and headed on to the Grand Canyon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Colorado RiverColorado River
Colorado River

At Glen Canyon, Horseshoe Bend


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb