Roadtrip SW USA...Monument Valley in the Snow...Am I in Heaven?


Advertisement
Published: April 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Roadtrip SW USA...Monument Valley in the Snow...Am I in Heaven? A raven hovers in front of me...as if to say "snap me if you can"...then flies in a sweeping arc over the valley below...and returns...over and over. But do you think I could capture it in my lens? Maybe it's position was different each time...me zooming in too close...or my hands aching with cold. It flies off again...taunting me... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




19th April 2015

Astonishing!
Gorgeous pictures as always my friend! That raven was rally well shot! I hope I get to go there myself some day!
19th April 2015

Astonishing!
Thanks Per-Olof. Nice to hear from you. Gotta be one of my favourite places. Gotta admire bird photographers...really hard to actually capture in one's lens!
19th April 2015

That horse!
The photo of the horse ! It's eyes follow me - how did you manage to get eye contact? I agree with you in that Monument Valley was gobsmackingly awesome -one of my fave places
19th April 2015

That horse!
I'd been sneaking up on a pie-bald horse and it got sick of my inability to get the shot right and wandered away. The horse in my opening pic even moved to keep his eye on me and...voila...framed just right with the backdrop. It's hairy eyeball was a bonus that scored this shot above others. And how lucky was I to be there with my Annie Oakley look-a-like?
20th April 2015

It is ironic that in an era when spirituality may be needed most, we instead choose to pave over the places that ground us. I have heard from a number of people how perfectly peaceful that area of Arizona is; the ideal place to reconnect with the self, the land and our universal souls! Cheers -S
20th April 2015

the ideal place to reconnect with the self, the land and our universal souls!
Another insightful comment Sean...thank you. I had thought the American Indians had been served the dregs when allotting their Indian Reservations. But Monument Valley is a gem...the spiritual home of the Navajo and continues to be so. I hope my pics and prose could give some semblance of what it was like for us to be there.
20th April 2015
Highway 163 the road out of there

Glorious!
I am now a big fan of US highways.
20th April 2015
Highway 163 the road out of there

Glorious!
Thanks Josevich. I'm partial to US highways myself. I'm building a collection on the Follow that Road thread in the Photography Forum. After all...I'm on a roadtrip aren't I?
20th April 2015

Those panoramas you got are awesome
Monument valley is a place I really want to go to. Those panoramas you got there are really good. They make want to go there even more. Thanks for letting us see your pics. /ake
20th April 2015

Those panoramas you got are awesome
Thanks Ake. Monument Valley was probably my favourite place on our south west USA roadtrip. The ambience of the monuments and red desert in the snow will remain with me always. Really glad I could photograph it so I could share it with my friends on TB. Glad you enjoyed them.
21st April 2015

Monument Valley
Great pictures Dave, I love the one of Highway 163, "Does that really go on for ever" I wish it did Stay safe and have fun Kj
21st April 2015

Monument Valley
Thanks for reading and commenting KJ. That Hwy 163 is something to behold. We saw it behind as we drove down the hill so had to stop for one last pic of Monument Valley. The snow covered road through the monuments in the valley was more to my liking though.
21st April 2015

I can hear the little boy in you having the best time of his life with his best mate....this is an awesomely beautiful blog Dave, and the images......stunning. I do hope Denise did the driving. Turquoise is so much her color.
21st April 2015

Turquoise
Thank you for your beautiful comment Cindy. I reckon you get it. Thank you.
27th April 2015

Simply Heaven
The photos will cause travelers to head to this part of the world in the winter. I'm breathless. This part of the world has a vibe and energy that is outstanding. Glad you enjoyed it.
27th April 2015

Simply Heaven
I hope folks read the blog and let the panoramas transport them. The photos are so much better enlarged as well. We had so many telling us winter was the wrong time to travel through the South West...but for us it was the best time for so many reasons. The photos best tell their own story. We have flown over some awesome places in the World in helicopters, balloons and small planes...the Warrumbungles, Twelve Apostles, New Zealand, Victoria Falls, Serengeti, the Barrier Reef to name a few. But none held a candle to Canyonlands and Arches...and we reckon it was 'cause it was in winter. No better place...no better time!
1st May 2015
Highway 163 the road out of there

Highway 163, the road out of there.
Nice One. This summed up the whole album to me.
1st May 2015
Highway 163 the road out of there

Highway 163, the road out of there.
Thanks David for joining the roadtrip and commenting. As you can see its quite a ride.
2nd May 2015

Denise heading inside...for so long I had to go and find her
...'cos Denise was buying a beautiful silver & lapis bracelet made by a local artisan aaaah! I walked by it , it called out to me "hey you with the blue eyes I'm a perfect match for you" how could I resist with a line like that...
2nd May 2015

Denise heading inside...for so long I had to go and find her
Reminds me of when I was young buck...this gorgeous blonde called out to me "Hey you with the blue eyes I'm a perfect match for you". How could I resist with a line like that? History shows I couldn't...shouldn't...wouldn't!!!
3rd May 2015

Awesome.
Great photos. Amazing to see it with the snow, the heart soars when you encounter such amazing places.
4th May 2015

Awesome.
Tip of the Week Lynne. If you can stay a night at the Monument Valley Navajo Visitors Centre View Hotel you will say "Awesome" more times than you can count. Then take some dusk and dawn pics and dedicate them to Dancing Dave...pretty confident you'll be happy to do so!
4th May 2015

Views
Dave, we had a motorhome when we stayed at Monument Valley and the views from Gouldings campsite were to die for too.
4th May 2015

Views
I know Gouldings campsite Lynne...the one with the red igloo out the front. Granted fabulous views from there but my Tip of the Week still stands. We still wish we had stayed at the View Hotel rather than Kayenta. Someone's gotta get those dusk & dawn pics for me!
22nd January 2017

When did you go?
Hi, my friend: I am planning a trip to that wonderful area. When did you go? I know it was winter but when exactly? Thank you for this wonderful blog and the amazing pictures.
23rd January 2017

When did you go?
Our Utah and Arizona was early January which we were advised by our American friends was the worst time to go as there was the chance of snowdrifts blocking the way. You can see that for us that was precisely why it was the best time to go. Monument Valley in the snow...let the photos tell the story!
23rd January 2017

Amazing place
Thank your for answering, my friend. I am planning to be there by the middle of February, that is why I was asking. I love those places. It will be my firts time on that area. My third trip to the USA!!!!!
16th July 2019
Monument Valley

Re: Hello David!! This is the Kenneth you met a short while ago with his mother who also went spotting Superb Lyrebirds with you!! I absolutely love this photo of yours so tremendously much!!! =DD =)))
Hello David!!! I just wanted to say that I 'majorly' and 'wholeheartedly' ever so immensely marvellously love and adore this photo of yours!!! Your composition and the way you championed the visual-brilliance of this scene is 'infinitely' and 'immeasurably' breathtakingly beautiful to me!!! Because of how you've championed this scene with your viewpoint, your perspective and the way you've used the elements in your frame so that they contrast and complement each other in a spectacularly brilliant and beautiful way, what you've come up with is; to me, a 'majorly' and 'Phenomenally' most truly specially beautiful image!!! Congratulations on taking this stunningly stellar photograph David!!! It's been a most truly 'prominently' tremendously beautiful pleasure viewing this photo of yours!!! =DD =))) I've taken a look at some of your travel-blog now, and must say that it's very informative, very entertaining, greatly interesting and the images are an absolute divinely beautiful joy to look at!!! =DD =))) I shall continue looking at your travel-blog tomorrow David, as I'm getting quite tired now!! =DD =))) All the very best to you, Kenneth!!! =DD =)))
16th July 2019
Monument Valley

Monument Valley in the snow
Thank you Kenneth. I am pleased you have taken the time to check out my Travelblog site and comment on this photo. Monument Valley has been much photographed and has been featured in many films. To have been there in the snow and to have captured this unusual image of such an iconic landscape was a pleasure indeed.
25th March 2023
Monument Valley in the Snow

You have a very unique content.well done.
https://digitaltrainingindia.in/

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb