Monumental event


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

There are places you dream about, either because the setting creeps into your mind as a part of a fantasy while dreaming or because they actually exist but you never think you'll set foot there. That's what Monument Valley was like for us. We had a long day of driving behind us and were planning to overnight at Mexican Hat - named for the rock formation outside town and do Monument Valley the next day. But suddenly there it was, rising up in the distance, the setting of so many movies from John Ford westerns to 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was nearing sunset when we drove by and we pulled over to just stare at the sight. We booked a tour with a local Navajo outfitters and it was a smart move because we got deep inside the valley and into restricted areas. There's a 26 km. scenic drive but the road is not very good and I wouldn't do it in a rental car. Instead we ended up with Sacred Mountain Tours in a safari-type vehicle driven by a terrific 17-year-old named Sky who really knew his stuff. It was $75 each for close to three hours. For me, the highlight was John Ford Point, the place where the director did his favourite shots in his westerns. We stood out there for photos and for $5, a Navajo rides his horse out to pose for the classic western shot. Later we did the back of the valley and explored hidden arches and "eyes" in the rock, startling some wild horses and walking in the red sand. A magical place and one I'll never forget.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



27th July 2011

Nice work if you can get it
I love the beautiful places you're visiting and the purty words you use to write about them.

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb