Zion and Lake Powell


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Lake Powell
October 9th 2011
Published: October 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today started with a re-trace of our route into Bryce. That's part of the fun of this trip, a good bit of it is spent getting from one cool place to the next and often you have to backtrack your previous day's drive. But the scenery is enjoyable, so it's okay.

Drove to Zion Canyon. Entry into the canyon is a bit hair-raising. First you go through a tunnel built in the 1930's. And since it was built when cars were smaller, so now they only let a bunch of vehicles in at a time in one direction. The tunnel has these huge "windows" in it, designed for ventilation purposes and they give you your first great view of the canyon. Once through the tunnel, you go down this wonderful switchback road. It's so new that they haven't even painted the lane dividers yet.
Our tour bus was not allowed to take us through the Park, so we were dropped off near the lodge and were on our own on the shuttle bus. Jack (our tour guide) gave us great advice, to take the shuttle to the end at the Temple of Sinawava and do the river walk and then make our way back to the lodge via the shuttle. I did that, but didn't do the whole river walk. The elevation was getting to me, and honestly, while some of the rock formations were interesting, I found the canyon kind of boring.
I wanted to see the "Weeping Rock", but got halfway along the steep trail and turned back. Did manage to do the trail from the Grotto back to the lodge, which they need to mark better and to note as very narrow.

After Zion, we drove into Arizona and on to Lake Powell. Trivia about Arizona, they do not believe in changing the clocks, so right now, they are in the Pacific time zone. A bit confusing for electronics if they pick up a signal from Utah....

Our hotel was right on the lake. Again, it was a hotel with a bunch of spread out buildings. And we were pretty far from the main building and dining room, but this was compensated by the fact that our rooms had lake views.

We had a boat ride of the lake and Glen Canyon. The ride was nice, except for the parents who do not know how to control their children. We got so close to the canyon walls that we could almost reach out and touch them.

Dinner tonight was a bit annoying. The hotel had 3 times open for us, each for a set of 6 of us. That wasn't a problem, we all get along, even at meal times. But when you tell me that we have to be seated at 7 pm and then you do not serve me my food until almost 8 pm, I'm not happy. And telling me that you're understaffed because the season is over doesn't cut it. There were at least three tour groups in house. They had to know how many people would be there, and should have figured out a way to keep their kitchen staff.

I really wanted to sit outside and watch the stars over the lake, but I was so irritated after that meal that I just turned in. And honestly, the food wasn't that great, and the single option of cheesecake for dessert was not good.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb