Day Trip to Lake Havasu City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Lake Havasu City
December 17th 2009
Published: December 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday, we made a day trip to Lake Havasu City after a breakfast of corned beef hash with three basted eggs layer on the top, a side of hash browned ‘taters, all liberally doused with the spice of life; Tabasco.

I forget what Nan had. Shaddy guarded The Beast. We parked where we could see him from inside the restaurant. He sits on the center console and keeps watch. He is a cute little guard, and takes his job seriously.

Since our route was through Quartzite, we exited on Dome Rock Road for a glimpse at those RVers who dry camp out on public lands. It makes Nan and Shad nervous when ever I investigate dry camping areas.

A neighbor woman at the rv place we are staying mentioned to Nan a little community being developed in the area of Dome Rock off of Cholla Road. We followed the paved road out into the dessert and discovered a nice little mid-scale snowbird community of adobe homes with RVs on the sides. Each lot had an attractive four foot high rock wall around its boarders.

We fueled The Beast in Quartzite, and set out northward for Parker and
South of Lake Havasu CitySouth of Lake Havasu CitySouth of Lake Havasu City

Glimpse of Colorado River South of Lake Havasu City
Lake Havasu City. We are already thinking about next year, and scoping out some rv places where we might want to stay. The trip one-was was close to 100 miles.

We visited several rv resorts north of town and found two that have some appeal. We found ourselves on London Bridge Road, and followed it back to town. There is a photo of it posted here somewhere.

On the return trip, we crossed Parker Dam which creates Lake Havasu. No commercial trucks or trailers of any kind are allowed on the dam road. There are concrete jerseys that limit the width of any vehicle crossing the dam. The Beast barely passed the test, with inches to spare.

That permitted us to drive down the west side of the Colorado and visit some of the RV parks on that side of the river. The river is relatively narrow in some stretches; an easy golf shot across to the other side. There are some nice views. We found a resort we liked, but alas, no internet connection. The “big boys” have satellite internet, and dish cable. We don’t run in that group (yet).

Stay tuned. Next week, we
London BridgeLondon BridgeLondon Bridge

London Bridge in Lake Havasu City
are thinking a day trip to Yuma to make sure that is where we want to send most of January. That will be a long day trip; over 100 miles away.

Paddy




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Channel to London BridgeChannel to London Bridge
Channel to London Bridge

Channel from Lake Havasu to London Bridge.


18th December 2009

Lake Havasu City Az
So glad you got to visit here. It is a wonderfu place and who cares about snowbirds and college kids coming in in droves it is fun to talk to everyone and you all learn to get along together and adapt.
20th December 2009

Down the road
Hey, even though I know you are not down the road from us, your blog helps me to remember that home is where the heart is and your adventures are so worth reading about!! Keep us posted!! we miss you. Ada

Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 18; qc: 88; dbt: 0.142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb