Cooling our heels in Greer


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Greer
June 22nd 2008
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

With Sonoran Desert temperatures reaching triple digits, Alan and I agree that it’s time for a road trip. The first stop on our “cooling off” journey is Greer, Arizona. Located in the White Mountains, the tiny village offers quiet seclusion combined with plenty of nature. It’s our kind of place.

At The Amberian Peaks Lodge, our home for two nights, we can view the entire valley from the multi-level deck. We’ve found our spot for morning coffee or sipping a glass of wine in the late afternoon sun. And, at an elevation of over 8,000 ft., we quickly revive from Tucson’s scorching heat.

In Greer, dining choices are limited, but we’re in luck. The Lodge’s restaurant has an excellent chef. Alan and I aren’t disappointed as we dine on halibut smothered in a verde sauce while sitting outside at our favorite table on the deck.

With abundant hiking, the Little Colorado River for fishing and plenty of forest trails to explore in the jeep, it’s hard to decide what to do first. Plus, that relaxing spot on the deck keeps calling our name.

But, we really do need the exercise, so Alan and I drive about a mile to the trailhead for the West Fork Trail. It’s a steady uphill hike through a forest of ponderosa pines. On the way, we stop at a pond, hoping to spot wildlife. Instead, the wildflowers scattered on the forest floor catch our attention.

Later, Alan and I return to The Amberian Peaks Lodge. Tonight the restaurant isn’t open to the public but the chef cooks an “Innkeeper’s Dinner” for guests staying at the lodge. We share a table with five other guests, enjoying conversation along with a multi-course meal that ends with crème brule.

The next morning, Alan and I take one more hike before leaving Greer. This time, we start from the lodge property. We can hear the rushing water of the Little Colorado River as the trail climbs above it. On the return to the lodge, a deer crosses the trail. We stop to look at him; he stops to look at us. In a valley known for abundant wildlife, he’s our only sighting.

Visit My Itchy Travel Feet to read more about Amberian Peaks Lodge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 29; qc: 152; dbt: 0.1856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb