A Hero's Welcome


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Green Valley
November 17th 2009
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 31.9064, -110.984

They just couldn't have been any happier. Seeing their hero again--our Bob--was something they just didn't think would ever happen.
When Nancy told us Aunt Ruth had moved to Green Valley, AZ, Bob called Ruth to tell her we were only a couple hours away.
The next day we were off for lunch with Aunt Ruth and the cousins.
"I was always her favorite," Bob says. And he wasn't kidding!
It was a delightful visit and a delicious lunch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Great Aunt Ruth, Grandpa Lemcke's SisterGreat Aunt Ruth, Grandpa Lemcke's Sister
Great Aunt Ruth, Grandpa Lemcke's Sister

At 89 years old, Aunt Ruth is a jewel. She writes stories of her remembrances and poems about life, some of which have been published. We had a great time visiting she and the cousins in Green Valley, south of Tuscon.
Clarice, Great Aunt Myrtle's daughterClarice, Great Aunt Myrtle's daughter
Clarice, Great Aunt Myrtle's daughter

If you know this long lost cousin, say aye. If you remember Aunt Myrtle, her mother, say aye aye. Clarice, the youngest of the girl cousins, has traveled the world opening up new WalMart stores. She has a home in Sun Lakes, but of course, she's not there much with all the traveling.
Not Since October 2, 1952Not Since October 2, 1952
Not Since October 2, 1952

He hadn't seen them for 58 years, but he's still their hero! Resplendent in his uniform, he and his new bride stopped by Ruth's gift shop the day after they were married, on his way to report to Camp Cook in California. Ruth and Susan said all this time they've kept the memory of this handsome soldier -- "That was the highlight of my life," Susan laughs! "We were so proud of you!"
Cousin Susan and her HeroCousin Susan and her Hero
Cousin Susan and her Hero

"I remember Bobby (she calls him BOBBY!) would take me for rides on the handlebars of his bike," Susan tells.


18th November 2009

wow! you guys get together almost as often as we do!
18th November 2009

I KNOW! Isn't that awesome!! You can't believe how cool it was.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb