Day 13 - Grand Canyon and...norovirus?


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

All set to go...All set to go...All set to go...

...shared our flight with a couple tattooed Austrians, who sat in the back on the return trip so Shiree could sit with Liam in the front.
Real early start today, wake up call for 5am so we could meet our pickup for a transfer to the Las Vegas airport and our helicopter to GC.

Our luxury limo arrived, which turned out to be a limo SUV, nice. There was some confusion about where the pick up would be, even when checking with hotel staff we got different answers, so we split into two groups. Eventually it turned up out the back by the bus park, so Gary and Jaime jumped,in and went around to pick up Shiree and Liam. Caused a moment of confusion when Shiree saw Gary in the right hand seat (why is Gary driving this car in here?). Drove down the strip and got to the airport with about ten minutes to spare.

We flew with Sundance choppers, they were great. Little trick - book in advance. We left it late thinking we might get a deal on the strip, but it wasn't to be. We eventually found these guys and got a good deal, but we were lucky! Others missed out...so book in advance for the flights. Especially the ones that land.

Pilot Bob, was great. Very slick and had
Lake MeadLake MeadLake Mead

Good fishing apparently. Took 7 years to fill after the Hoover Dam was completed.
a polished commentary and delivery, I guess when you fly 700 hours a year on the same routes this happens. A well as his personal commentary, there was pre recorded drivel and cool music. Blasting Red Hot Chilli Peppers as we entered the canyon was cool.

Saw Lake Mead (huge, over 188kms of coastline) which was man made when Hoover Dam flooded. The Dam we only saw briefly, but it was enough. Gary fact of the day: did you know that the amount of concrete that went into the building of the Hoover Dam would be enough to pave a freeway between San Francisco and New York?

The Grand Canyon is cool. We have all seen the photos over the years , but nothing beats being there. Flew past the Skywalk as well, seeing how small it was added perspective to the walls of the canyon.

We landed in our designated spot with about 12 other choppers, and had 30 minutes there. After ten minutes of photos, we were called by our pilot to a sheltered spot where we had champagne breakfast set up...croissants and muffins, fruit etc. It was really well done. Flew over the strip on the way back, got all the obligatory photos. Overall, it is an expensive little sojourn, but if you are time poor and don't want to spend a day driving out there, it is well worth it. Plus, the only way you get to land down in huge valley and get photos looking up, instead of down (unless you decide to raft it of course).

We were back before lunchtime, so Shiree decided to go shopping. Jaime was feeling a bit ill, so stayed in the room to sleep off what turned out to be a 24 hour bug , quite a nasty norovirus one that had her Completely wiped out. Gary and Liam spent the afternoon going between the room, the pool and various other little trips to get meals and drinks and stuff, just a bit of down time to enjoy the hotel.

Quiet night, although as Shiree and Liam couldn't sleep, at 10pm they snuck past the other sleeping beauties and went up the tower to get some more night photos. And to eat a jumbo baked potato and blue raspberry candy floss, 107 stories above the gambling and partying punters. Only in Vegas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb