Grand Canyon = WOW!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
October 12th 2012
Published: October 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Vicki in the snowVicki in the snowVicki in the snow

Grand Canyon Visitors Centre and Vicki's first experience in the snow.
After a fantastic dinner at the hotel's restaurant we settled in for the night and a great nights sleep. It rained a fair bit of the night and at times heavy enough to wake us up.

After a hearty buffet breakfast Vicki and I drove up to the visitors centre. the first thing we noticed was how bloody cold it is outside. It was barely above zero and drizzling with rain. While at the visitors centre we were greeted with a very excited announcement from the rangers "we are having the first snow of the season". As Vicki had never seen snow before we neaded outside for a walk back to the car and it was bucketing down snow.

It was now time to find out what this Grand Canyon thing is all about. Wow! What a sight it is. You can look at all the photos you want but the vista is simply breathtaking. It is without the most amazing natural feature I have seen. It just takes your breath away.

We battled through more snow, passing showers and fog to capture the photos. It was bitterly cold and really took us by surprise as only a
Duck on a rockDuck on a rockDuck on a rock

I love this rocky outcrop
couple of days ago we were in LA battling heat and humidity.

We came back to the hotel and had some lunch followed by a cappuccino and cinnamon scroll. We then came back to our room and had a bit of a rest. One thing we have found at this altitude, 7,000 feet, is fatigue is a real issue. We have just woke up from 2 hours sleep and are about to head out for sunset photos and dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Tusayan RuinsTusayan Ruins
Tusayan Ruins

Up to 20 Indians lived in the house that was here in the ruins.
Tusayan RuinsTusayan Ruins
Tusayan Ruins

The living quarters
Tusayan RuinsTusayan Ruins
Tusayan Ruins

Large Kiva, a ceremonial room. Note the fire pit in the middle
CactusCactus
Cactus

Near the Tusayan Ruins
CactusCactus
Cactus

Near the cactus in the previous photo
Tusayan MuseumTusayan Museum
Tusayan Museum

The national park people have recreated how they think the ruins used to be in this museum. Ranger Christine gave us a great insight to the Indian people.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb