Grand Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
September 15th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We spent the day at the Grand Canyon today. It was quite cloudy and misty when we first arrived and I was worried we wouldn't get a good view out across the canyon. We spent some time reading the information and watching the video about the canyon, during which the weather improved. By the time we had had some lunch, it was fairly bright and sunny and the views were a lot clearer. We moved away from the hustle of the visitor center and got some really good (and quiet!) views from the rim trail. Massive storm clouds were moving in from the west which looked quite spectacular. We retreated to the car when the storm hit as it lashed it down with thunder, lightening and hail. It soon passed over and was warm and sunny and clear. We walked part of the rim trail and saw some deer/elk (not sure which!) before heading home on the Desert View road. Although there are quite a few hills and mountains in Arizona, it is otherwise open and we could see various storms cells on the horizon as we drove home which made for some impressive scenary. We also passed a lot of Navajo American Indian settlements, markets and trading posts where they sell their handy crafts. We drove back into Flagstaff on Route 66 and went directly to a brew pub so Simon could get some decent beer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb