North Rim, a View From the Grand Canyon's Other Side


Advertisement
Published: October 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Alan’s photo workshop travels to the North Rim today. Since I have been to the North Rim before and have an article deadline looming on the horizon, I stay in Page to write.

I miss driving the approach to the North Rim. It’s my favorite side of the Grand Canyon. After driving over Navajo Bridge and beyond the Vermillion Cliffs, the road climbs onto a forested plateau that rises high above the desert. The cool mountain air is a pleasant break from the hot, dry winds below.

The turn-off to North Rim is near Jacob’s Lake. The road twists through meadows and evergreen forests. By now, the Aspen trees are gold and when the wind blows, they give a golden shiver.

The Grand Canyon’s North Rim is the surprise at the end of the road. Trees and vegetation hug rocky edges and steep cliffs, giving no warning of the wide chasm.

Overlooks provide expansive views colored by canyon walls striped red, pink and white. The group might see hawks and eagles riding the thermals. And, as they drive back to Page through the dusky night, they are sure to see deer munching in the meadows.

The day turns out to be a cloudy one, not the best for picture taking. The prescribed burn on the south side of the canyon doesn’t help either. But, the views are still grand as Alan’s pictures prove.

To read more about our photo workshop experience with Jim Altengarten, vist this page at my blog about baby boomer travel, My Itchy Travel Feet .



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.402s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 140; dbt: 0.178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb