Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

I've never doubted that the world is full of amazing places and we've been lucky enough to see quite a few already but over the last few days we managed to see another four examples of what nature can do. The results were spectacular.

America covers a huge area so to get anywhere takes an age. We set off from Santa Barbara at 9am Monday morning and arrived at Flagstaff, the gateway to the Grand Canyon, 12 hour later at 9pm. We'd driven through hundreds of miles of dessert to get there and seen amazing sites along the way but were looking forward to the 'big one' the next day.

After a very early start and another two hours of driving on Tuesday morning we arrived at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. There are no words to truly describe the sight before our eyes, the immenseness of the canyon and the magnificent colours have to be seen to be believed.

We spent a few hours driving along the roadway by the rim, stopping off again and again to see the canyon from every angle and vantage point, (taking way too many photographs!)

By mid afternoon we were on our way to find accommodation close to tomorrows intended venue, Monument Valley. Four hours later we realised finding somewhere to stay wasn't going to be easy as there were only three motels in the town closest to the valley and all were booked out solid. We'd passed a small motel ten miles earlier, in the middle of no-where, owned by some Navajo Indians, it had seemed pricey at the time so we'd declined. After a quick drive back we managed to get a room but of course the price had gone up by now another 20 dollars. Oh well we wouldn't be sleeping in the car after all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Joshua treesJoshua trees
Joshua trees

cross between a tree and a cactus


21st July 2012

Grand Canyon
We have been there twice and it was fantastic. whilst we have not travelled as much as you two but it is one of the places that we would go too again. You have also been to The Joshua Tree National Park another fascinating place.We stayed at 29 Palms Inn it was wonderful.
21st July 2012

Grand Canyon
All I can say is WOW. What some memories you will have. Not sure Bury can hold you after this!!! Gretta
23rd July 2012

Grand Canyon
Well, we've waited a long time to visit the States but it's been worth the wait. We have lots more places lined up to visit while we're over here.
22nd July 2012

Fantastic. I was in the grand canyon myself many years ago. It's definitely up there with the wonders of the world.

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb