West Coast Day 8


Advertisement
Published: October 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Grand Canyon


The Canyon




We wake to a beautiful crisp morning and after breakfast we take a short trip to Desert View on the Canyon Rim, each look out has a different view of the canyon. We arrive at the Lookout Tower at Desert View and its amazing, this Canyon is so huge you you cannot help but be amazed by its beauty, we take lots of snaps then head back to our room and on the way stop by a little picnic ground to have some lunch, omg, the wasps are really starting to annoy me, I put the lid on my lunch and sit in the car while Steve goes and does his snapping in the bush.

Back at the motel, we relax before heading off to go on a 45min Helicopter flight over the Canyon, I'm excited, but also anxious. We arrive and sit and watch a safety demonstration, mmmm, we are going to be flying over a Canyon, a Canyon of rocks and its going to be to late to worry about safety if we go down don't you think?? Steve and I are lucky and have the front seats and after being buckled up, were off, we fly over acres and acres of Cedar Trees and as we reach the end of the tree line, there is the Canyon, I am in awe, we hover over the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen and we madly snap away, the helicopter starts to take a turn straight into the sunlight and the pilot puts his hand over his brow because he's having trouble seeing, now perhaps I should be worried, but he has done this hundreds of time, so stop worrying Amanda. We stop for fuel at a small airport on the Canyon rim and are required to get out whilst the chopper is being refuelled, a storm can be seen over the North edge of the Canyon Rim, it looks spectacular, the size of the Canyon is realised when a large dark, rain laden cloud looks so small. Once refuelled, we fly back to the airport and can see a moose drinking from the dam, what a lovely sight, unfortunately not quick enough for a photo. We land back at the airport........ what an amazing experience! Thanks again Steve!

Steve drops me back at the motel, as he heads off to the Canyon for some sunset snaps. Steve returns without the snaps he wanted, unfortunately a car had broken down at the entry gate and everyone had to wait until the road had cleared and as he is sitting in the car the sun was setting and unfortunately he was unable to capture it. We head out for some dinner and have another early night. Weather...... warm!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Taking offTaking off
Taking off

On our way to South Rim Grand Canyon in helicopter


5th October 2011

Hello
Thank you for the great pic\'s ,That ride must have been awesome, and the commentry is pretty good too i say.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb