Colorado to the Grand Canyon!


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It has been a crazy few days! Being without internet since we were in Kansas has been painful! But we are happy to update the blog briefly now.

We drove from Lawrence, KS to Colorado Springs where we visited the Focus on the Family world headquarters and enjoyed some smoothies at Whit's End! We bought a few books at the bookstore and then headed off to the hotel. Before dinner we drove 10 minutes south to Garden of the Gods and were amazed at the beautiful rock formations; it was overcast so we could not really see the mountains that evening.

When we woke up the next morning there was a dazzling view of the Rocky Mountains including Pikes Peak. We stopped by Garden of the Gods again and took more pictures and then started our scenic Rocky Mountain drive to Mesa Verde National Park. The drive was the most beautiful thing we have ever experienced on this trip! The still-snowcapped mountains were awe-inspiring. We stopped for an hour and took a tram up to the top of a mountain at the continental divide and looked back 100 miles to Pikes Peak and forward across the great state of Colorado. We drove on and were surprised by a mountain goat that jumped out in front of us on the drive! We got a picture too! We then drove through the Switzerland of America and could not help but keep our jaws from dropping over and over again.

Upon arriving at Mesa Verde we set up camp and had some dinner and then hiked to the highest point on the Mesa to look out at over 180 degrees at the desert plains and distant Rocky Mountains. It was gorgeous! We slept well, but decided to do laundry and take showers rather than driving to the Cliff Dwellings. After an hour of driving we stopped at the famed four corners monument so as to be in 4 places at once! Then we drove to the Grand Canyon and saw some beautiful desert scenery and then arrived at the amazing Natural Wonder. We stopped at several points along the southern rim and took a bunch of pictures! It is so amazing and we are about to go watch the sunset on our second evening here.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



4th July 2011
Photo 2

Tauntaun
Almost looks like a Tauntaun, the creature Luke was riding in Star Wars
4th July 2011

AWESOME!
It is so awesome that you have this opportunity to travel and see other parts of the USA. Thank you so much for sharing your travels with us. It's exciting and fun to keep up with you. God bless you! Love you lots, Mom/Momma

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb