The Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Las Vegas - Grand Canyon


Hotel pickup was at 7.45am this morning, for our Grand Canyon Tour. Then a bus ride out to Boulder City, a town built to house the workers who came to work on the Hoover Dam. It is just south of Las Vegas, and gambling is prohibited within city limits. The airport had lots of helicopters coming and going, as well as light planes. Boarded a small (19 seater) aeroplane for the one hour flight to the Grand Canyon (complete with 12 year old co-pilot - well he looked about 12 years old). Saw the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead, which are on the Colorado River, on the border of Nevada and Arizona, from the plane. Amazing and beautiful colour, blue one end, green the other.

Plane landed at Grand Canyon Airport, near the south rim of the canyon, and we were picked up by a bus and driven to Bright Angel Lodge, an historic hotel close to Lookout Studio, which is right on the edge of the canyon, and has great views. After time spent walking around here, with lots of other people, (and eating our included "box lunch"), it was back on the bus to Mather Point, another canyon viewing area. Bus driver/guide walked us around the best spots here, some were a little close to the edge for my taste, and all were very crowded, but the views of the canyon were amazing.

Then the whole thing in reverse, back on the bus to the airport, back on the same small plane to Boulder City, and bus back to the hotel. Didn't arrive there till after 5pm, and back to our room via the Frozen Cocktail bar to try another one. It was very hot (and dry) at the canyon, but still 10° cooler than Las Vegas.

Decided to have dinner tonight at the Burger Brasserie in the hotel (because we got a 20% off voucher from the frozen cocktail place, and the menu looked good). Had a Paris burger (like a cheeseburger but with brie!), very nice, then went out onto the strip to see the lights, and the Bellagio fountains (can see them from the room, but can't hear the music). Lovely to watch. Still 39° at 9 o'clock at night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Squirrel Squirrel
Squirrel

He posed for photos (mine are blurred) then had to lay down for a rest


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb