RTW Day 10 - Grand Canyon


Advertisement
Published: February 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Last night we slept well. It may have been minus 14 outside but the central heating means our room is like a sauna and it’s quiet like you only get miles from the city. I take a shower and count the towels. There are 15. I’m tempted to return to reception and discuss the environment some more. We leave our room to discover a herd of deer in the car park trying to work out why their food is covered with weird white stuff.

After a tantalising glimpse last night, today we have a full day to explore the Canyon (from the top – it’s way too icy to consider going down unequipped). We take a shuttle bus to its furthest destination then walk back along the rim trail. There seems to be two sorts of tourist here; the lazy who just want to jump out of a bus, take photos and jump back in the bus and the adventurous who want to hike down into the Canyon. A leisurely stroll along the rim doesn’t seem to appeal to either so we have trail almost to ourselves and wander along enjoying the views and taking multiple photos.

We return to the village, purchase supplies and drive along Hermit’s Road to find a picnic table where we have lunch with the most awesome view.

Upon return to the lodge we find we have been given rewards for foregoing room service – drinking bottles with a Grand Canyon logo.

One last outing to watch the sunset and to buy some Grand Canyon Amber Ale, which apparently is inspired by the sunset but it’s in a brown bottle so who knows? An early night is called for, as we have a long drive in the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb