Busy Busy Busy


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Florence
December 15th 2011
Published: December 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Okay...we've seemed to have settled in. I keep asking Cindy, "Can you believe this?"

Got up Saturday morning and headed for the plateau north of the condo to watch the last lunar eclipse until 2014. What an astonomical event. The moon literally disappearing out of the sky. It looked as if an invisible cloak was being placed over it. An orange glow and then nothing- gone. If you ever travel in the southwest the night sky is stunning. The amount of viewable stars is something you don't see in the midwest.

Went hiking at Bolders this morning no clouds and 57 degrees, a perfect day to be out. About 20 miles south of Florence is a geological formation that has left massive bolders stacked up on each other-stunning views, mountains surrounding the area. Traversed these formations-footwork is tricky at times. All kinds of cactus to contend with. Beautiful plants but respect better be paid when you're near them. Cholla's in particular make their presence known. They're called jumping Cholla's and if you get close a piece of this plant will break off and find a home somewhere on or in you. Part of my hiking kit now includes small needle nose pliers and tweezers.

Sunday- Cindy and I are headed to Boyce Thompson Arboretum to help do trail maintenance. BTA is located on the AZ 60 which leads to towns of Superior and Globe. It will also take you through the Salt River Canyon. If you're ever out this way Boyce Thompson is a must to see and hike in.

It's a good thing I use a smart phone...I keep losing track of days. What day is it?


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The ChollaThe Cholla
The Cholla

One recognizes this plant in a hurray.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb