Sunshine


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Florence
December 9th 2011
Published: December 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Brooklyn servesBrooklyn servesBrooklyn serves

A day at the Children's Museum in Austin.
Hello again. We just spent five days in Killeen, Texas with Drew, Lynn, and the girls. Cindy took Maddy and Brooklyn to the Children's (Hands on) Museum in Austin. We had a chance to go to their school, Clarke Elementary a couple of times. First we ate lunch with the girls on Thursday and later we went back to a math and technology night. It was fun to talk to many teachers and see what technology was afforded them. My-oh-my...too bad Brighton leaders couldn't see these classrooms. Looking at the turnout of military families sure left an impression. Deployments break up continunity all to often, the chance to be a full family is precious and well understood and NOT taken for granted.

As we left Killeen we encountered more wet weather. A Canadian cold air mass met moist gulf air-what a mess the closer we got to El Paso. The Texas Department of Transportation (TDOT) uses a brine sand mix on icy roads. However, they only do the bridges. We counted at least ten semi-tractor trailers jack-knifed, tipped sideways, or upside down. What a mess!

Now the real driving fun...New Mexico. Twenty miles into New Mexico, a state famous
Maddy and BrookMaddy and BrookMaddy and Brook

School lunch with the girls.
for closing I-10, I-40, or I-25, when we came to a complete stop. We were caught in a 27 mile long backup. Construction... closing one lane really should not be a problem but the border patrol was checking for illegal aliens. I'm glad we had the CB radio available. The truckers kept us informed and certainly amused us. They sure have answers for everything that ails society.

We're in Florence, Arizona. We've already met a host of new people. Golfing Monday with a group of guys, hiking various areas of AZ on Wednesdays, Thursday night wine and beer keggers and free! (we went to our first one tonight...should have retired two years earlier), checking out the flying club open house, next week there is a rock hounders meeting to set up field trips-exploring for various rocks and minerals. Cindy is planning just as many activities, groups for sewing and needlework as well as using the exercise room. I can't believe the amount of retired teachers out here. The weather...mid-60's and sunshine, spent the day in shorts and sweatshirt. Retirement is awesome!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb