Grand tour of the Grand Canyon, The road to Sedona


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
September 28th 2016
Published: September 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Let me begin with a side bar: The Petrified National Park is in Arizona not New Mexico, occasionally it's hard to see state lines.

continuing our kicks on Route 66...

Colleen scheduled an all day trip with All Star Grand Canyon tours, and it was an all star day. We were picked up by Jason along with 4 other passenger's at 9:00 am. Jason was/ is a Wikipedia on Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, the flora and fauna, Indian names and culture. The drive to the South rim of the Canyon took 1 1/2 hr. After parking and gathering our gear we walked to the edge-ish of the rim. Jason set up his long range viewer thingy and we saw boats and rapids on the Colorado. (See attached photo, look for the Colorado River)

OK I will say it! It was/is SPECTACULAR, and we saw a small portion of the canyon. The day was grey (gray) with occasional rain and sun which gave depth to photo ops.

What you need to know for your next cocktail party when the subject of the Grand Canyon is front and center.


• It took 3-6 million years to form. Erosion
Grand Canyon South RimGrand Canyon South RimGrand Canyon South Rim

The Colorado River is a thin line on the bottom of the photo.
continues to change the form of the canyon
• Was formed by the Colorado River which flows west through the canyon, which averages 300 feet wide and 100 feet deep.
• 190 miles long
• The first inhabitants of the canyon were a paleo-indian 12,000 years ago. They left behind their tools



We arrived back at Spring Hill suites in time for wine time - 5:00 AZ time 8:00 NC time.

Day 2 in Flagstaff..

.. (Is it Wed? Or Thurs ? And what time is it? Biggest problem with traveling, keeping track of the day and time. Arizona does not recognize daylight savings time. 1/2 of the year they are one on one with west coast time. The other half they are cozy with mountain time. And then there is Peublo time which does recognize daylight savings time.)

Sedona Az is a beautiful town In the Verde Valley region. The formations are Red sandstone which surround the town and the road leading to Sadona. We toured the Sedona state park and walked through the town filled with retail stores and many spas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



1st October 2016

Trp
You are seeing a lot of of beautiful country are you ready to come home yet ?? You just keep going every day that is a lot of work When is your rest day !! Mom
1st October 2016

Thank you!
Love living vicariously through you! In Sedona, hope you were able to visit the Chapel in the Hill - there is a presence there.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb