Flagstaff - Kingman


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Flagstaff
August 15th 2010
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday we packed up and headed for Flagstaff. We needed to have the generator in the coach serviced, so we made an appointment for Monday at Camping World. CW offered to let us spend the night, so we parked there and headed for downtown Flagstaff. We had read that they have a nice new mall, but it took us a few tries to actually find it!! GPS didn't pick it up, we finally had to call the mall and get directions...it was down the hill and around the corner...

Then we headed to the historic downtown. Checked out the Beaver Street Brewery and the Lumberyard Brewery. They are about a block apart, and turns out they are owned by the same people. Flagstaff is home to Northern Arizona University, and it is definitely a college town!! Beers were good at both breweries...they have a few of the same, but mostly different brews at each venue. We stopped at Altitudes for the coldest Red Stripe I've ever had!! YUM!!

Got up and around early on Monday so they could get the work done on the coach. Went to Macy's Bakery and Vegetarian Cafe again in the historical downtown. Pretty bohemian, to say the least!! I had some quiche with my coffee and it was really yummy!! It had wifi, so we surfed a bit. We drove out to the Walnut Canyon Nat'l Monument. It's a canyon where the Sinagua natives built cliff dwellings. They would hike down to the river at the canyon floor and bring water back up in large pots. They also would fill pots in the winter with snow and save it for the droughts every spring. Pretty amazing...I was afraid I'd fall off the cliff just walking along the trail, and they raised families there!! It was really hot, and we could hear thunder roll every now and then, but no raindrops until we were back in the car.

We headed back to get the coach and head for Kingman. It was really storming as we left town...big thunder clouds ahead of us...WOW!! Lightning and thunder, rained like crazy - people were stopped by the side of the road it was coming down so hard!! It even hailed for a bit!!

Dry by the time we got to Kingman and parked out behind the Eagles lodge. Power and water hookups here, so we're living large again after only the generator for a week 😊 Nice folks in the lodge and they were all giving us the tips on what was going on in Kingman.

Tuesday we tootled around town. Went downtown, but there's not much there...a LOT of second hand and pawn shops, but not much else. They do have a Route 66 museum in the visitor's center, and a few old cool Route 66 motels, but it's pretty empty these days!! Did some laundry and then a huge storm came up. They had told us that it never rains in Kingman, and after all that thunder and not a DROP of rain, we believe them!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb