Old Town Charm


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Bisbee
February 23rd 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I went on a quick roadtrip with my friend Rochelle. We didn't want to venture too far since I'm only a few weeks from having a baby (possibly even sooner!). We opted to make the quick hour & half drive from Tucson to Bisbee since neither of us had been there.

As soon as we drove through the tunnel at Mule Pass the rolling hills laid out before us and were speckled by houses perched against the ledges. What a beautiful, quaint town. Bisbee was once, in the early 1900s, the largest city between St. Louis and San Francisco. It's hard to believe that in less than the span of one decade, a city can go from a bustling metropolis to a sleepy town. Alas though, a town with a rich history in mainly copper and gold.

We decided to wander the main street which was filled with art shops. Cool to look at but way out of our price range and not really our "thing". Then we meandered to Brewery Ave where the partying used to be--ladies of the night, brothels, bars, etc. I guess we were expecting placards on the buildings or some inkling of a clue as to which buildings held juicy tales. Disappointingly, we saw none so we just walked & talked. We glanced inside the Copper Queen Hotel, which is thought to be haunted. It remains a charming place after all these years.

Perhaps I'll go back again with Jeff next time and do a mine tour or visit the museum. Maybe that will make the trip more interesting. I have to admit though, the weather was spectacular and even though there were many tourists filling the sidewalks it was nice and quiet in Bisbee. That always makes for a great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



25th February 2011

Nice pics
... but none of your big fat round beach ball baby belly? No fair! Love. Chum

Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb