Day 19 bear hunt


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 18th 2017
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 19 IcyStrait passage
We're going on a bear hunt we're going to catch a big one. BULLSHIT. To be fair this is the filtered version. It was on the bus ride up we encounter our first two bears young infants on the side of the road. As our bus got closer they darted into the forest. When we reached the top of the mountain, we were introduced to our guide who had a rifle just in case. We set off into the bushes and came to our first platform which was a view over the river we spotted a few eagles a squirrel but no bears . Platform two no bears but just as we went to move off a bear appeared at the waters edge and walk straight into the middle of the river.dave got some great photos. No bears at the last platform and then we headed back to the bus. We saw another bear and a deer on the ride back.
Non filtered version: we paid $129 for this we'd better see some bloody bears. Slyvester was our bus guide a young 25 year old uni student working to get credit for his course I'll bet. On the way up in the bus we got his life history interesting but not what I had paid for. When we arrived he spent much time telling us of the bears he had seen and stories of the bears that had come very close to him. As we trudged through the bush he gave us a plant talk which comprised of tasting salmon berries and smelling some other plant. First platform no bears but more plant talk second platform no bears but the other guide said he may have seen one . Then just as we were about to leave a bear comes wandering out of the bushes into the river . I pretty damn sure the guide had a big stick and was coaxing it out.
Anyway we r in the last frontier in the wild and nature is nature. But it is pricy.
Lunch and then Dave Brian and Jade took on the zip line. It was a 45 min bus ride to the top . They left at 2:45pm and came down the zip line at 4:25pm. Guess who was standing at the bottom camera poised for the entire time. They had an AWESOME time next stop Juneau

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb